Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gunnison Archery Elk- 54, 551

cbellosu

Hi all,

Planning an archery elk hunt in September of 2018 to Colorado. I have changed my search area and am focusing on 54 and 551. Any insight into these units as far as archery?

I know it is not a trophy unit, and has OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle tags. We are just going for a family hunt, and hopefully get into some elk at some point. It is the first elk hunt for my dad (using a ML) and I.

I was previously planning on 57/58, but the private land mix in those units may be an irritation/inhibiting for my dad and uncles who are doing a ML hunt while I archery.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Yes there is crowds, Yes there is roadless areas with crowds in 551. Your just going to have to get out there and burn some boot leather. It's been dry this year, but a lot of rain recently. Elk are scattered across the unit. Have you tried the hunt altas? Watch the video on how to use it. Can you guys back pack hunt, or need to truck camp?

54 is crowded. Lots of hunters. Lots of tourists. And a muzzleloaded season mixed in there. I hunted it one year and I hated it. No elk bugling except on private land. I got there around the 10th and the private lands were loaded with elk. Get a long way in the the West Elk WA if you can.

Last edited:
I'll be in 54 for 1st rifle. Will be interested to hear your story. From what I gather there are a lot of hunters that hang out near roads. Interestingly enough, one of the bigger bulls I've seen was within a mile from a forest road and was bugling during 1st rifle season in 54 a couple years ago. It is beautiful country and screams elk, but it is expansive and there are plenty of hidey holes for them to hang out.

I've hunted the east side of 551 twice and have seen elk each time. I was hunting second season with an OTC tag so can't speak to crowds during the earlier season, but it wasn't real crowded and hiking a bit got you away from the majority of hunters.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back