MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gun Value, help a bowhunter out

Trial153

Looking for a gun value, if anyone can give me any guidance on a price i would surely Appreciate it ...
Winchester model 70 Featherweight 7x57, very good condition. With the factory rings. Its has the red butt pad with Winchester logo on it.....I think that matters for the date and manufacture location?
Anyone have any input?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Rings probably aren’t factory. Most m70 came just drilled and tapped. I’m assuming it’s a push feed rifle, with the red pad. I’ve seen two here with scopes for 500 in the last year. Don’t remember condition, but where they were for sale probably been hunted. Hope that helps.

Rings probably aren’t factory. Most m70 came just drilled and tapped. I’m assuming it’s a push feed rifle, with the red pad. I’ve seen two here with scopes for 500 in the last year. Don’t remember condition, but where they were for sale probably been hunted. Hope that helps.
Thanks

Looking for a gun value, if anyone can give me any guidance on a price i would surely Appreciate it ...
Winchester model 70 Featherweight 7x57, very good condition. With the factory rings. Its has the red butt pad with Winchester logo on it.....I think that matters for the date and manufacture location?
Anyone have any input?
Thanks in advance for the help.
The pre 64 Model 70 in 7x57 is BIG money one of the rare configurations, post 64 and it is a nice rifle probably in the $5-600 range. Put up a picture or serial number for more info on it. The 7X57 in a model 70 can be loaded to equal the 7-08 and is a nice setup.

The 7x57 is worth about $200 more than a standard caliber per bb of guns. They were only made in the early 80s for a few years I believe. I've been shopping guns lately, and I doubt you can find a push feed M70 featherweight in good shape for less than $600, let alone a 7x57. There are still some deals to be found, but if I was selling it I'd put it online for $800, and $700 if I wanted to sell it fast. I've been looking for a 223 in an XTR for a while, they run around $8-900, about as rare as the 7x57, maybe less so.

Sounds like you got a hold of a very cool rifle. The advice to look up the serial #, that's where you should start. I've done that with a couple Remingtons and an ancient Springfield trap door loader that was supposedly my great-great grandfather's army issued infantry rifle. You might even call Winchester and see what they can tell you about the guns made in that era - knowing the twist rate, for example, would be important in chambering like 7x57 - mostly going to have to handload for it. I'm not a huge Winchester guy, but I sure wouldn't having a gun like that. 7x57 is a pretty cool little cartridge.

From the serial number I am guessing early 80s. As far ar condition, if someone was to tell it was excellent condition wouldn't dispute it.

Last edited:
I had a load that I worked up for it that it seemed to like....
40.5 grains of h4895 under some 140 grain Ballistic tips

I had a load that I worked up for it that it seemed to like....
40.5 grains of h4895 under some 140 grain Ballistic tips
Those were nice rifles, I recall that they were made on the new equipment, CNC gear they got from Fabrique National after U S repeating Arms was formed in the 80's, They reintroduced the pre 64 action style in late 80's and the post 64 actions got pushed aside (pun intended). The 4895 loads work well near max (yours is over max in several manuals) but most of those loads are meant to work in actions not as strong as the Mod 70. Try 4350 for heavier bullets like accubonds. It is a nice caliber often overlooked today but with 125 years of success. I loaned a pre 64 in this caliber to a young lady for 3td season mule deer and she will certainly not be undergunned!

Those were nice rifles, I recall that they were made on the new equipment, CNC gear they got from Fabrique National after U S repeating Arms was formed in the 80's, They reintroduced the pre 64 action style in late 80's and the post 64 actions got pushed aside (pun intended). The 4895 loads work well near max (yours is over max in several manuals) but most of those loads are meant to work in actions not as strong as the Mod 70. Try 4350 for heavier bullets like accubonds. It is a nice caliber often overlooked today but with 125 years of success. I loaned a pre 64 in this caliber to a young lady for 3td season mule deer and she will certainly not be undergunned!
Thanks for the info!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back