Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gun Regulation Survey

VikingsGuy

Guns ownership is an inextricable part of public land hunting (unless we go 100% bow and arrow). As such, HT has had its fair share of "gun control good/gun control bad" arguments, but rarely does anyone take the extreme position that unlimited access to all weapons is OK, or that all guns should be banned. As with most things, the devil is in the details. The following is intended to get a sense how a fairly broad-based group of outdoorsman/woman (HuntTalk) view the various questions being bantered around various legislative bodies around the country in 2021.

I am asking that you do not debate your points, criticize the positions of other, call names, use pejorative labels like commie or facist, invoke your personal belief of what the founders intended or instruct SCOTUS on the proper reading of the 2A. If at all possible just answer YES or NO. If minor clarification or caveat for your answer is needed that is fine, but please don't "argue your point". If you feel compelled to address these topics I just asked you not to address in this thread, please start you own thread.

So, here goes:

0. YES or NO, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
1. YES or NO, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES or NO, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
3. YES or NO, current dealer background check rules should remain in place?
4. YES or NO, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES or NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. YES or NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. YES or NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. YES or NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. YES or NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. YES or NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. YES or NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
12. YES or NO, online sales of firearms through FFLs should be banned?
13. YES or NO, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
14. YES or NO, ownership of a gun should require pre-registration/permit?
15. YES or NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. YES or NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. YES or NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. YES or NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES or NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. YES or NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. YES or NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
22. YES or NO, there should be a wholesale repeal of "stand your ground" laws?
23. YES or NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES or NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES or NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES or NO, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. YES or NO, current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. YES or NO, current limits on short barrelled rifles should remain in place?
29. YES or NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. YES or NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

Note: lower/upper mix-up fixed

Last edited:
My answers:

0. YES , the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
1. YES current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES , current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
3. YES , current dealer background check rules should remain in place?
4. YES , current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. YES , if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
12. NO, online sales of firearms through FFLs should be banned?
13. NO, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
14. NO, ownership of a gun should require pre-registration/permit?
15. NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. YES, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
22. NO, there should be a wholesale repeal of "stand your ground" laws?
23. YES, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES or NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES or NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES or NO, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. NO, current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. NO, current limits on short barrelled rifles should remain in place?
29. NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

For me they were all pretty simple black and white except #18 - I waffle on this one.

Last edited:
I only differ from your thought on a few.

5. NO, without #6 there is no way to enforce this
18. NO, It is smart to keep everything locked up but do not see away to enforce this without having someone come into the house and check
23. NO, It is the lower that is the 80% and what do we do with all the ones that are out there? we would need #6 again to keep track of what is out there and if any more were made

Other than that we have a lot in common

0-25: All NO.
26: Yes suppressors should be treated like any other accessory.
27-30: NO.

To clarify where I am coming from, I was born and raised in a country with extremely strict gun laws and have seen how that affects the people living under them. I now live in a state with some of the least intrusive gun laws in the US and have seen how that affects the people living under them. So I have lived both sides of the argument.

0-25: All NO.
26: Yes suppressors should be treated like any other accessory.
27-30: NO.

To clarify where I am coming from, I was born and raised in a country with extremely strict gun laws and have seen how that affects the people living under them. I now live in a state with some of the least intrusive gun laws in the US and have seen how that affects the people living under them. So I have lived both sides of the argument.
I am guessing you would also say YES to #24, but I may have not written clearly. #24 gets at nationwide right to carry handgun.

0. YES , the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
1. NO, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. NO, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
4. YES , current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. NO!, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. NO!, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
15. NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
23. NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% uppers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES , the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?

I am guessing you would also say YES to #24, but I may have not written clearly. #24 gets at nationwide right to carry handgun.
Oh okay I may have read that wrong. My position would be in support of constitutional carry across all 50 states.

0. Yes, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
1. YES, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
3. Yes, current dealer background check rules should remain in place?
4. YES, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. YES, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
18. NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
23. YES, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. Yes, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. YES, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?

Last edited:
Guns ownership is an inextricable part of public land hunting (unless we go 100% bow and arrow). As such, HT has had its fair share of "gun control good/gun control bad" arguments, but rarely does anyone take the extreme position that unlimited access to all weapons is OK, or that all guns should be banned. As with most things, the devil is in the details. The following is intended to get a sense how a fairly broad-based group of outdoorsman/woman (HuntTalk) view the various questions being bantered around various legislative bodies around the country in 2021.

I am asking that you do not debate your points, criticize the positions of other, call names, use pejorative labels like commie or facist, invoke your personal belief of what the founders intended or instruct SCOTUS on the proper reading of the 2A. If at all possible just answer YES or NO. If minor clarification or caveat for your answer is needed that is fine, but please don't "argue your point". If you feel compelled to address these topics I just asked you not to address in this thread, please start you own thread.

So, here goes:

0. YES or NO, the government may limit my access to military weapons such as handgrenades, rocket launchers, tanks, Apache helicopters, etc.
1. YES or NO, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES or NO, current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
4. YES or NO, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. YES or NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
6. YES or NO, we should have a mandatory federal gun owner's registry to further enable "universal background checks"?
7. YES or NO, even intra-family transfers should be subject to "universal background checks"?
8. YES or NO, even lending weapons between friends/family at a range or while hunting should be subject to prior "universal background checks"?
9. YES or NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days? No idea what that is
10. YES or NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
11. YES or NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period?
13. YES or NO, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
15. YES or NO, purchase of ammunition should require pre-registration/permit or background check?
16. YES or NO, semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. YES or NO, all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
18. YES or NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
19. YES or NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
20. YES or NO, all new firearms should be required to incorporate "smart gun lockouts" by 2030?
21. YES or NO, the firearms industry should be civilly liable for the harm caused by the unlawful use of their products by their customers?
23. YES or NO, regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. YES or NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states? Don’t know what this is
27. YES or NO, current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
29. YES or NO, gun ownership should be restrict below the age of 21 rather than 18?
30. YES or NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month? I agree with limits on firearms and ammo, but not necessarily one per month

Harrier, "9. YES or NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days? No idea what that is"

Currently if a federal background check is not finalized within 3 business days the sale is allowed to proceed without completion. Some call it the "Charleston Loophole".

Harrier, "24. YES or NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states? Don’t know what this is"

Some type of universal handgun conceal/carry permit or mandatory state-to-state reciprocity.

1. YES , current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
2. YES , current persons ineligible to possess firearms should remin in place?
4. YES, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place?
5. NO, the current approach to background checks should be extended to cover all transfers between non-family members ("universal background checks")?
10. YES , in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms?
13. YES, online sales of ammunition directly to the home should be banned?
16. YES , semi-auto rifles capable of accepting high capacity mags (>10) and having other functional "attributes associated with military assault rifles" should be banned?
17. YES , all large capacity (>10 round) magazines for rifles, shotguns or handguns should be banned (not including traditional rimfire tube magazines)?
19. NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession?
22. YES , there should be a wholesale repeal of "stand your ground" laws?
23. YES , regulation should further limit parts or modifications, such as bump stocks or 80% lowers that are primarily sold to avoid other gun control regulations?
24. NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states?
25. YES , the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful?
26. NO, suppressors should be removed from governace of the NFA and be sold like any other firearm accessory?
27. YES , current limits on short barrelled shotguns should remain in place?
28. YES , current limits on short barrelled rifles should remain in place?
30. YES , gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

So, here goes:

1. YES or No, current limits on automatic weapons should remain in place?
4. YES or NO, current restricted areas, such as courts and schools should remain in place? Decision left to individual localities.
9. YES or NO, if there is a delay in background check results should the current 3 day "free pass" rule be extended to 14 days?
10. YES or NO, in addition to our existing civil commitment laws, should there be additional "red flag" laws allowing for pre-adjudicated confiscation of firearms? Strict, renewable end dates

11. YES or NO, should all firearm purchases be subject to a 7 or 14 day waiting period? 3-5 is fine.
18. YES or NO, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? Tough one here, probably too much interpretation.
19. YES or NO, in locations where the presence of minors is common or foreseeable, all firearms must be stored in a secure manner at all times when not immediately in one's possession? Again, I agree with the ethos but worry about implementation.
24. YES or NO, the right to carry a handgun on a "shall issue" basis should be universal across the 50 states? Maybe?
25. YES or NO, the open carry of semi-automatic rifles in public areas such as streets, parks and stores should be unlawful? Up to the locality.
30. YES or NO, gun purchases should be limited to one firearm per month?

Last edited:
Hard to find high quality ammo around here. Most stores' stock is very limited even in good times. Pretty much Remington corelokt and similar. I'd essentially never use nosler ammo if they banned online ammo sales.

Back