MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gun for Wife

Gun Dog

Looking for a gun for my wife and it will also be used by my kids. Suggestions? 7mm-08? 25-06 243?? Leaning to a 7mm-08 youth or micro hunter. Any suggestions and where to look.

Hee hee, reading the title I thought you were proposing a trade. :D :D :D

Ya I guess it does look like that now that I see it. BUT will keep the wife and look gor a gun.

The gun I grew up shooting was a Browning A-bolt gold medalion sporter in 25-06. This is a sweet load. very little recoil over a .243 with much more lead in its a$$. Killed 6 Elk, several mule deer, 2 antelope, and a B&C Shiras moose with that gun NONE requiring more than one shot! My Mom often shot the gun as well and killed a 5 point bull Elk with it. She is not very big and really loved that gun. My Girlfreind has a Tikka in 25-06 and she loves it. Shoots it very well because she is not afraid at all of the rifle. She is 5'4" and 115 lbs. I have a .243 in a Remington BDL Sporter that is a sweet shooting little gun. Given to me by my ex father-in-law and I am saving it for my daughter. I would take the 25-06 over the .243.

Gun Dog, A-con hit it square on the head, that is the exact gun I bought my son when he was 10. Great gun, I purchased the Youth model 7, we are now looking to put an adult stock on it as he is now 14. He has shot a slew of Deer with it, including a 225 lb. 9 point that made the state book.

Gundog, Think Winchester Mod. 70, Featherweight in 6.5X55. It's a great round that can transition from varmints to Elk. It's also more comfortable to shoot than the remingtion. (just one man's opinion..!)

:cool:

Good suggestions by all. It boils down to what you like and what will be the largest game taken. My choices would be 7-08, 260 Rem or .25-06 - in that order. The .260 Rem is pretty much the equivalent of the 6.5x55 but fits a short action very handily and ammo is more available.

Do you handload? If so, another good choice is a .308. In fact, with the new lower recoil rounds, it's a good choice even if you don't handload.

The Ruger Compact, along with the Model 7 or youth models of various brands, would be a good choice. The fact that you can replace the stock later with a full-size one as the child grows is an added benefit.

model 7 youth 7mm-08 is what my kid shoots. it has more velocity than a 243 but still has minimal recoil.mine is also a tack driver.

I started with a .30/.30 and I love it. I also have a .308, very nice shooting rifle with almost zero recoil at all. I would go with those but hey that's just me.
Quick Draw

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back