Gun for big game hunting

mhungerford

I have a friend that is just getting into hunting and this will be his first year hunting. He wants to buy his first rifle and is asking me what he should buy. My question for you guys is...... what do you feel is the best all around cartridge for deer elk and antelope, he would like to keep it under 800. thanks for the help.

Probably would get different answers from everyone, but they would probably all fall in between a .270 and .338. Probably hard to pick one of the popular cartridges that wouldn't meet that requirement.

thats great moosie i would tell him that but he might not get it. i was thinking something in the range of a .270 or a 30/06 just not sure what brand to look into.

Is that price range with or without scope?
If it's with, either a ruger, tikka or remington would be great. Without, I'd look at a sako A7.

Caliber wise, either '06 or .270.

The cartridge has little to do with the rifle's price. About any common centerfire chambering would work fine, 30-06, 270, .308, 7mm Rem Mag, etc.. I'd say if he's not looking for any some kick ass magnum wonder-rifle (which are out of his price range), a quality short action bolt rifle in 7mm-08 would be hard to beat. Lightweight, no recoil, flat enough shooting, and definitely enough punch for elk. I have one in Remington 700 LSS, great rifle. By the time you mount a scope on about any rifle, it's going to exceed that price point though.

Check out www.asrealasitgets.net and ask them for suggestions. Real hunting rifle experts and really nice to learn a thing or two from.

just getting into hunting and this will be his first year hunting
30.06 - good for Deer / Elk...decent for those jackalopes - errr, antelope, errr, pronghorn.

Avg starter 250-600 $...

This is speaking of a starter rifle that has no problems out of the box and good to go. Heck even beyond starter - 30.06 has to be one of the most universal rounds available... for BOTH deer and elk - maybe not the greatest for prongs though I have no issue with them. I do not shoot as far as others though...

Just my two coppers.

Have not paid to much attention to the 7mm in the past but since I picked up a 7mm stw the 7mm caliber is looking like a pretty good all around cartridge. You have a great range of bullet weights and performance on animals seems great also. Still hard to beat a good ole 06 though for a new hunter. I would lean towards the 7 mag IMO.

Brandwise - get a Rem 700, a Howa/Wthby Vanguard (same rifle, different name and just cosmetic differences), a Savage 110, a CZ 550 or whatever rifle feels good to him!

As far as caliber goes, it is hard to beat a .30-06 but a .270, 7-08, .308 will work, too. If he doesn't mind a magnum, a .300 or 7mm of any variety will also work. If he is a new shooter, I would suggest a non-magnum chambering.

I shoot a 300 WSM and love it. Flat shooting, lots of poop and easy to reload. The wife shoots a lightweight in 7mm-08. That too, is easy to reload and she dumps anything from coyotes to elk with it. I got her the savage weather warrior for just under $500 and with reloads she does 1/2" groups at 100. But I also agree with the .270. I shot one for years and loved it. Killed lots of deer with it and a few elk. We shoot accubonds in our rifles with no damage to deer size game. I shot my deer last season at 410 yards with a 180 grainer. Just poked a hole right through both shoulders and flattened him. My 2 cents.

It all depends on how sensitive he is to recoil.
Unless he has some experience shooting rifles generating in excess of 3,000 ft/lbs energy, it’s best to error on the side of caution.
Tell him to get a modern, Stainless/Synthetic American made bolt action in .308 Winchester.
.270, 30-06 or 7mm-08 would work as well, but .308 would be the first choice.
Plenty of poop for elk at reasonable ranges, cheep ammo available everywhere. Wide range of bullets for everything from the smallest to the biggest. Mild recoil.

Spend the extra to buy a decent rifle, don’t go with the really low end like those box store package rifles.

Remington 700
Winchester 70
Ruger 77
Tikka & Howa would be decent options as well

Put a Leopold VX II , duplex, straight 4X or 3X9 by 40 mm on it.
Maybe Burris or Nikon

Lots of used guns in this class available for $400 to $600

Contact friends that have these guns and let him shoulder a few, see which one feels the best, then start looking through the classified adds.

Brand new, he will end up spending closer to a thousand after getting a sling and a box of ammo.

[QUOTEdon’t go with the really low end][/QUOTE]

I thought you said to stay away from the cheap guns, Dan? I can't think of too many guns I would put lower on the scale than that one....

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back