Gun cleaning setup

Beaneater

I want to up grade my gun cleaning set up. What should I get ? Tipton, Dewey rods brushes or other brands. I'm presently using a Bore Snake. 30 cal rifle and 50 cal muzzleloader. Thanks Dan.

All I use anymore is a coated cleaning rod and Wipe Out.

This is what I use as well but I'll add a good bore guide, brass jag, grease for bolt lugs, chamber swab, lug cleaning tool, and kroil to the list. The chamber swab is just a shotgun swab on a short rod but I think it's a must when using wipeout. If you have any liquid or residue in your chamber it can give you a pretty good spike in pressure

I looked around for a kit but couldn’t end up finding anything that had all
The pieces I wanted. I pieced one together on amazon. I bought a Dewey rod, jags and brushes, and a bore guide. Add a few brushes and swab sticks and you should be pretty set.

Don't buy a kit. I've broken a few multi-piece rods, so I'll second a coated one piece. So nice to use. Buy a cheap tackle box to store everything in. Hoppes 9 works for me but I hate the headache I get if I'm not outside. I use some stuff that I bought at a gun show that I think works well and I don't get the headache.

I'd do what is mentioned above. Buy a dewey nylon coated one piece rod, bore guide and all your cleaning rod accessories. I've bought kits in the past and end up not using half the stuff.

I've had my cleaning rod for years, it's Red. Got a new one just to use for brush's, it's silver. I'm not sure anyone other than Hoppe's makes a cleaner! :)

With all the new copper and powder cleaners out there now there is no reason to use a brush.

To the above I'd add a gun vise of some type. It makes it much easier to lock it in place and be able to work on it. This will do you nicely: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101491760/tipton-gun-vise

I have one of these and not a fan. One of the levers that tightens the stock on mine ended up stripping. Plus its not sturdy enough to level the receiver for mounting scopes. I ended taking an extra vice I had and installed vice pads from Brownell's on it. I just put the barrel in the vice and tighten down. Way more sturdy and is excellent for mounting scoops because you can get the receiver level and tighten it down so it doesn't move.

These are not exactly what I have but close:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...s/vise-jaws/magnetic-soft-jaws-prod22513.aspx

Thanks for the advice. I'll be ordering a one piece rod and brushes. What do you use for a bore guide and powder cleaners?

I like Sinclair bore guides. Really though you don’t need brushes. Wipeout, Wipeout Accelerator and 6 patches.

One piece nylon coated cleaning rod. I seldom use brushes, I generally just use a brass jag with hoppes #9. Every other year or so I brush out my rifles and run some JBs bore compound through it. I just use my led sled to hold the rifle while cleaning.

Back