Guided Hunts--when would or have you done them?

When would you go or have you gone guided?

• I frequently go guided without thinking twice about it

• If federal, state, or provincial law requires it

• For a "glory tag" (high point or OIL type hunt)

• If I'm hunting somewhere I've never been

• If the location is so remote that horses, boat, aircraft, etc are needed

• As a gift or as part of a professional/business outing

• As a companion to the elderly or disabled

• To access private land I'm interested in hunting

• Never, ever, ever will I go guided

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been on two, both to a degree have left me with a bit of a hollow feeling.

The first was a chital/axis hunt and it was very unenjoyable. The guide was pushing us to shoot small young stags from the moment the hunt started.

Next one was a sika hunt in NZ, it was much better in terms of the hunt. My brother and I glassed up both of our stags and planned out the stalk. The guide was mostly a cameraman, but with that was still barking directions.

I think for me it comes down to the satisfaction for me coming from my own hard work. Having said that next year I'm really thinking of doing either a moose hunt or a aoudad and whitetail hunt which I think would have to be guided. Don't think it's worth burning my WY points just yet.

I am kinda going to be working with guides in 2020. Some of the Hunting With Heroes hunts that a am a volunteer for are donated by outfitters and private land owners.

I started hunting later than some in life (mid to late 20's). I always felt like I was way behind everyone else in terms of skills, experience, and knowledge. I took a guided mule deer hunt to try and steepen my learning curve. I found that I actually knew a bit more than I thought I did and I picked up a few subtle skills that have made a huge difference in my DIY hunts since. I've had way more success after that guided hunt. The guided hunt was very fun and I learned skills that made me better

My dad and I were given a guided antelope hunt by a good friend in exchange for some work done on their house, and he and his father booked spots as well. My dad had never shot an animal and was able to take a nice goat on an easy hunt, and I shot one as well. We hunted right alongside the markers for the original Oregon Trail and saw some old grave sites, got to poke around on a beautiful ranch and see a ton of game, had some great food, and had some great times with other hunters and the staff. It's the only guided hunt I've ever been on, and seeing my dad kill his first animal and the emotion that came with it was great, I wouldn't trade those couple days for anything.
IMG_0882.JPG

My dad and I were given a guided antelope hunt by a good friend in exchange for some work done on their house, and he and his father booked spots as well. My dad had never shot an animal and was able to take a nice goat on an easy hunt, and I shot one as well. We hunted right alongside the markers for the original Oregon Trail and saw some old grave sites, got to poke around on a beautiful ranch and see a ton of game, had some great food, and had some great times with other hunters and the staff. It's the only guided hunt I've ever been on, and seeing my dad kill his first animal and the emotion that came with it was great, I wouldn't trade those couple days for anything.
View attachment 127376
That’s awesome! Both guided and Diy hunts have their place.

Me no, but a friend will not go bear hunting with out a guide he hunts in the UP of Michigan I think he is afraid of getting lost !!!

I received a guided buck mule deer hunt in N. CO 13 years ago for work. Filled tag first day. Likely the most boring hunt I've been on.

After two unsuccessful solo elk hunting trips in NM (2005, 2010) I put in for an elk hunt in CO (2015) using all the pts I had accumulated. For this hunt I went ahead and hired an outfitter.
Day two of the hunt I had shot my first elk. I learned quite a bit during the hunt and was definitely glad to have horses. I never saw another hunter since the outfitter hunted miles from the trailhead.
Overall good experience. I had a good time and was able to take an elk.
(PS... I went back to NM in 2016 and shot a decent bull DIY.)

Last edited:
Did a guided hunt for antelope in Colorado last year. Didn’t have much choice because I had injured my left arm and no way could I take care of a critter with one arm. Ended up being a great trip, glad I did it. That being said I probably won’t do it again

Depends on the species, King Eider will cost $5500 not counting travel expenses. Other remote exotic species are just as expensive too. But I know what you're saying, ducks in general are not expensive. I guide for cinnamon teal and I don't charge much.
Greenland offers Kings at double the limit of Alaska and Common Eiders too (Northern Borealis subspecies). Same price, I paid $5500 over there. Travel is less weather contingent and the weather is much more tepid compared to the Bering sea. Hunt occurs in March, so it's still cold, but the waters are much much calmer.

Attachments

• IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
90% hunt self guided. But will hire a guide when needed.
Guided bear hunt in British Columbia ( required by law)
private land elk hunt in MT
Late season elk hunt in UT
Mountain lion hunt in Utah ( needed dogs)

I've done a few guided hunts in my day. All but one were pretty poor experiences.

On one, we went with and paid full price for "the nicest Alaskan moose guide out there." A little tough as an NR to coordinate all those logistics and it was my first big game hunt in Alaska, so we went for it. The guy clearly did not care about anything but our money. Food he provided was terrible and also ran out quickly, we slept in leaky backpacking tents, and the hunting sucked. Out of 3 hunters, only one ever even saw a legal moose. When we confronted him on the lack of basic comforts, he was cagey, defensive and 0% apologetic.

Also did a TX Nilgai hunt a few years ago. Our actual guide was a good dude and very knowledgeable, but the ranch we were hunting sent one of their reps to babysit us, which I get to some extent. This guy, however, was old and didn't see or move very well. He ended up spooking a nice bull while I was waiting for it to turn broadside and give me a good shot... by scrambling up to tell me to wait for it to turn broadside for a good shot.

DIY takes more time, investment into preparation and skill but is absolutely more rewarding.

Client buddy brought me on a guided goose hunt with my dad. Right west of Barr lake. It was insane, so much fun.

Different buddy invited me to his lease where I was guided for fly fishing over a weekend in Walden. Big trout, great rivers and great experience.

Would do both again.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back