Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ground Squirrels

HUNT2MUCH

Anybody gettin into squirrel huntin?? We had a blast this weekend in SE Idaho, we hunted the little lost area, three hours and 500rds later I was tired, these little buggers are giving the farmers fits, and they welcomed us into normally "no hunting "areas h2m

Hunts2Much, my two hunting partners and I have been going to some ranches around here, south of the Payette River, and hitting the Columbian Ground Squirrels pretty consistently.

One of my partners knows the ranchers who let us hunt their lands, so no one else is around. I use a variety of guns. Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver 1 1/2 x 4 1/2; Reminton 550A .22 LR semi-auto. Also use my Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum. Carry and use various handguns from .22 LR up to .45 Colt.

Lots critters and lots of good shooting.

Good luck.

I still don't know why you guys haven't joined the GSPHA. we need guys and gals who love to hunt the hunters. You don't have to be an expert or have 20 years of coyote hunting under your belt to be involved. WE NEED YOU!!!

slydog

Your are so right about ground squirrels and the permission thing. Some of the ranchers around here will pay by the tail for squirrels but I have found that more times than not if you shot them with a 22 they will make the hole. We trap them with 0's and set a few hundred at a time. Keep up the good work as it can only lead to more hunting privelages in the future. Trapper1

Just for curiosity, what's the going rate for a ground squirrel tail? How many squirrels do get in an average week? We don't have ground squirrels here in Pa, and I am very curious about this western varmint.
wink.gif

Doug
0007.jpeg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-24-2003 20:44: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

I have been checking into the edibility of these little rodents for some of my cross country vetures and been finding that in Montatna at least, they don't have the bad little things that seem to plague other parts of the country...
Any one know if you can cook any of the bacterias that hit these guy's out of them....
smile.gif

Back