Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Grizzly Experiences

What experiences have you had with grizzly bears?

• I’ve never seen one

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I’ve seen a few

Votes: 75 38.3%
  • I see them regularly (several per year).

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • I’ve never had a close encounter

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I’ve had a close encounter (bluff charge, very close range encounter)

Votes: 47 24.0%
  • I’ve sprayed or shot a grizzly before.

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters
This youngster is a bit of a nuisance but so far no serious trouble. Bumped into him walking the dogs this morning, later he came by camp, bugging the hell out of the dogs

Attachments

• C3DC6CE7-7935-4C62-A5AF-B7FC015D5656.jpeg
    C3DC6CE7-7935-4C62-A5AF-B7FC015D5656.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 98729006-AB97-47DB-818C-994083EAE3EA.jpeg
    98729006-AB97-47DB-818C-994083EAE3EA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Young sow with last years cubs. We think she is four or five years old. She was raised around here. She is pretty comfortable near the lodge but does move off if challenged. We often find their tracks on the dock in the morning.

Attachments

• 03D80588-39C6-4ECE-A30D-79521B0048C5.jpeg
    03D80588-39C6-4ECE-A30D-79521B0048C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 5AA562E2-3E94-4478-91A2-C2F6731B91FC.jpeg
    5AA562E2-3E94-4478-91A2-C2F6731B91FC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Only grizzly I've seen was in Yellowstone from the safety of my truck.
I camped on the Alaska Peninsula and never saw one but I did see fresh tracks around.
I'll be camping on Kodiak this coming October so I imagine that an encounter is highly probable.

We routinely see bears, daily occurrence. I really empathize with, in particular, those bow hunting in grizzly country. The most consistent comment from my clients is how quiet they are, even when moving quickly. No question in my mind they could get me just about anytime they wanted if they were so inclined.

My only “close” encounter was in GNP almost exactly 5 years ago. I was too busy glassing sheep and goats to pay attention which side of the trail the wife stepped off of to take care of business. Just about the time I expect her back I hear brush rustling up slope and can see blond hair in an opening in the brush at 20-25 yards. My wife isn’t blond. Took a second to realize what it was, but the bear was moving parrallel to me, so I stayed silent and didn’t move. It came from down wind. She seemed fairly small/young and had a little 1st year cub in tow. Hikers down trail had bumped her past me. I have no doubt she knew I was there and seemed to pretty adeptly pick her way into a clear space to cross in the trail about 100 yards between groups of people. Savvy park bear I guess. Nose in the air the whole time. I snapped a picture when she got to 70 yards or so. Phone in the non-dominant hand, bear spray in the dominant hand. I remember thinking I should probably be worried or scared but I’ve see few enough grizzlies to have really just enjoyed the experience. I was pissed at myself for not knowing exactly where my wife was, but that was it.
571E1B58-0D0E-4F86-9F68-1F55BA5904B7.jpeg

Last edited:
We routinely see bears, daily occurrence. I really empathize with, in particular, those bow hunting in grizzly country. The most consistent comment from my clients is how quiet they are, even when moving quickly. No question in my mind they could get me just about anytime they wanted if they were so inclined.
Thanks for your posts. I'm enthralled by your stories and photos. Are you a guide ?

Thanks for your posts. I'm enthralled by your stories and photos. Are you a guide ?
Thank you, yes I am a guide. I just happen to work in and around Katmai National Park, Arguably the highest concentration of Brown/Grizzly in North America. I wish I had a go pro as the best bear encounters have me kinda busy and snapping a photo is way down the list.

My only “close” encounter was in GNP almost exactly 5 years ago. I was too busy glassing sheep and goats to pay attention which side of the trail the wife stepped off of to take care of business. Just about the time I expect her back I hear brush rustling up slope and can see blond hair in an opening in the brush at 20-25 yards. My wife isn’t blond. Took a second to realize what it was, but the bear was moving parrallel to me, so I stayed silent and didn’t move. It came from down wind. She seemed fairly small/young and had a little 1st year cub in tow. Hikers down trail had bumped her past me. I have no doubt she knew I was there and seemed to pretty adeptly pick her way into a clear space to cross in the trail about 100 yards between groups of people. Savvy park bear I guess. Nose in the air the whole time. I snapped a picture when she got to 70 yards or so. Phone in the non-dominant hand, bear spray in the dominant hand. I remember thinking I should probably be worried or scared but I’ve see few enough grizzlies to have really just enjoyed the experience. I was pissed at myself for not knowing exactly where my wife was, but that was it.
View attachment 188751
Great story.

Couple years ago I took a couple into Contact creek, they wanted bear pics and a mix of rainbows, char and Grayling. Perfect place for that. We had just completed an easy Mile hike in after a 30 minute float plane ride. My guts were giving me fits so I excused my self into the willows. I had just finished my chore, realizing I could smell grizz stepped out of the willows while still hitching up my waders. Lady starts taking pics from 20 yards away. Great I thought she’s posting on Facebook “my guide took a dump” then she, maybe it was he, squealing bear! Damn thing was 15 feet behind me, looked pissed I had done so in his bedroom. He turned and shuffled back into the willows shaking his head like “what the F...dude”

Couple years ago I took a couple into Contact creek, they wanted bear pics and a mix of rainbows, char and Grayling. Perfect place for that. We had just completed an easy Mile hike in after a 30 minute float plane ride. My guts were giving me fits so I excused my self into the willows. I had just finished my chore, realizing I could smell grizz stepped out of the willows while still hitching up my waders. Lady starts taking pics from 20 yards away. Great I thought she’s posting on Facebook “my guide took a dump” then she, maybe it was he, squealing bear! Damn thing was 15 feet behind me, looked pissed I had done so in his bedroom. He turned and shuffled back into the willows shaking his head like “what the F...dude”

We were hiking around Two Medicine Lake in Glacier a few years ago, a big group of us. Somewhere around 10-15. We'd seen moose, etc as we came around the south end of the lake, really enjoying our time. As we rounded the west side, a guy was solo running and stopped to tell us of the tale of Chocolate Legs and did so with great flair & drama. He ran off, bear bells tinkling, with the admonition to stay together and never hike alone (ok buddy, enjoy your solo run). As we came down the hill, deep in thick cover that a bear would just love to doze the afternoon away, everyone became extremely quiet & after 5 miules of sweating it out in the sun & heat, folks were plodding with their heads down, not really paying attention.

That's when it happened. I was at the end of the line, and looked up to see my compatriots struggling to find the determination to make it to the boat dock and possibly take the boat back, or slug out the last 5 miles. Blisters were forming on those who thought sandals were a good choice. Others had run out of water and had no filtration, and cramps were coming on.

So I leaned back and belted out in my best Mr. Garrison from South Park voice as went through the pucker brush, sure that Chocolate Leg's descendants were about to claim their meals, "THIS IS WHERE THE MONKEY'S REACH OUT AND GRAB YOU!"

Today’s bears, the solo is a young fellow, I’m guessing his first summer on his own. Spotted him from the boat, about a mile outside Katmai National Park.
the young sow and her cubs, seeing her daily now. Today they are moving down stream.
She needs a name...
Added another, young male, we don’t know him either. Two new males in the area, must have been pushed out of the park by dominant boars

Attachments

• 51B86B7B-1685-4CC3-91E5-BF9573E23CAF.jpeg
    51B86B7B-1685-4CC3-91E5-BF9573E23CAF.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 06CC3C63-4066-4398-ADCD-09D7C91DE07E.jpeg
    06CC3C63-4066-4398-ADCD-09D7C91DE07E.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DFB5AE8D-9D25-44E7-A1AD-F8DE2AD6C078.jpeg
    DFB5AE8D-9D25-44E7-A1AD-F8DE2AD6C078.jpeg
    982.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you, yes I am a guide. I just happen to work in and around Katmai National Park, Arguably the highest concentration of Brown/Grizzly in North America. I wish I had a go pro as the best bear encounters have me kinda busy and snapping a photo is way down the list.
I can but imagine how intense some of your bear encounters become. No wonder you aren't reaching for the camera. Katmai looks to be an amazing place. Thank you again.

I plan on doing a solo backcountry bow hunt for elk in Montana in September and this being my first time in grizzly country. I have read and watch about every article on grizzly bears I can find. I also plan on taking a pistol and bear spray. So if I take all the pre-cautions being in grizzly country is it a bad idea on going on a solo backcountry hunt?

I called one into 18 yards while elk hunting a few years ago. It headed out as soon as it realized I wasn’t an elk.

Walked into one in the dark and had a couple tense minutes, but ultimately I slipped around it without any issues.

I’ve had a couple other semi close encounters but those two were the closest.
Were you solo?

I plan on doing a solo backcountry bow hunt for elk in Montana in September and this being my first time in grizzly country. I have read and watch about every article on grizzly bears I can find. I also plan on taking a pistol and bear spray. So if I take all the pre-cautions being in grizzly country is it a bad idea on going on a solo backcountry hunt?
If you aren’t going to enjoy the hunt because of the Grizzlies then you may want to consider another option. That being said, if you take the precautions and stay vigilant you should be fine.

I've had the good fortune to see a few from a safe distance in GNP & YNP country, and in the Blackfoot Valley. One pleasing incident was seeing the rump of one after it ran away from a "hey bear" in GNP. Saw a lot of other fresh sign throughout the backcountry on that trip too (Lake Isabel area). Was in the Bob (Spotted Bear RD) two weeks ago and saw fresh giant scat piles and tracks in the dust daily near a huck patch that we'd walk by to get to the fishing hole (I think myself and the bear must've kept different hours). Also almost hit one on the East Side Reservoir Road in the same RD a few years back. Was driving a little beater hatchback at the time that the bear could've probably picked up and thrown into the reservoir. Probably the eeriest situation was seeing fresh tracks in the snow one AM right next to our wall tent on the front. Seemed like it was on a mission to someplace else and didn't really circle around to investigate our tent though.

'Don't know your definition of "backcountry", but anything over a couple of miles in with a downed elk in bear country becomes a logistical challenge for anyone hunting alone, especially if you have your backpack full of food and camping gear. It would be wise to read up on that scenario and plan accordingly.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back