Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Grizzly charge in Idaho

I agree. We always assume we WILL encounter one

I can only speak for myself and others in this area when I say the above post is spot on. I know we see them and they bluff charge and/or just move toward us while wondering what we are doing there and sometimes they and us are both surprised when we see each other and I dont even mention it to husband let alone other people in the village . When fishing we encounter them( sometimes several of them ) every day. Here on the forum Salmonchaser has the same experience when guiding, he confronts or is confronted by many each season, some of them up close an personal, but he has only had to shoot one in 20 years. I think Redside makes a good point.

If you have a concern about it, you probably should not do so. BUT, we take children out who are that young, it depends on the child and the comfort zone of the parents. If your not comfortable doing so, I would respectively suggest that you dont.
I grew up doing it with my dad in southern Alberta at that age. I just don’t know if my dad was reckless or oblivious. Haha I’m comfortable with it myself, but would never forgive myself if I ever got him harmed because of a poor decision on my part.

I personally would not take an 8 yo. Biggest risk, other than bumping into a sow with cubs, is while you're dressing out your elk. I want someone looking behind me while I perform those tasks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back