Grizzly charge in Idaho

No doubt. Makes me nervous to take my 8 year old… we have a rifle elk tag 20 miles away from there in October.

Wondering if 8 is slightly to young to bring in grizzly area?

If someone is keeping a record, it seems that bear spray this year is zero, shooting the bear is 2. There are other incidents, I’m not aware whether the bear spray or gun was deployed.

The photographer outside of West Yellowstone sprayed the bear that killed him and LEO killed that bear.

The gun/bear spray debate will never be solved...

If someone is keeping a record, it seems that bear spray this year is zero, shooting the bear is 2. There are other incidents, I’m not aware whether the bear spray or gun was deployed.

The photographer outside of West Yellowstone sprayed the bear that killed him and LEO killed that bear.

The gun/bear spray debate will never be solved...
How many encounters do you never hear about that it only takes a "hey bear" or someone sprays a bear or even fires a warning shot and they run off. It's only when there is a mauling/killing of a bear or human that you hear about it. We're not getting the full sample size of encounters.

How many encounters do you never hear about that it only takes a "hey bear" or someone sprays a bear or even fires a warning shot and they run off. It's only when there is a mauling/killing of a bear or human that you hear about it. We're not getting the full sample size of encounters.

Dunno, I think people are pretty forthcoming when they've been charged by a grizzly...

No doubt. Makes me nervous to take my 8 year old… we have a rifle elk tag 20 miles away from there in October.

In my opinion possibly so. I know things have changed over the years somewhat, but I was not invited to elk camp until age 14. That was my dad in the 1970's.

Enhanced Canadian Super Covid wolves... to join as their fear of humans reduces as more interaction between humans and wolves elevate their gang affiliated pack mentality. LEO's refer to them as OWP (Organized Wolf Pack) RICO status soon to follow.

They'll nip those griz in the arse!

There are things I miss about hunting that part of the world, the potential for g bears is not one of them
You have to be prepared to encounter a grizzly damn near anywhere here in Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. I know in the last half dozen years hete in the Root I am increasingly aware. Just a thing we have to deal with. Covid wolves would be scary though. mtmuley

You have to be prepared to encounter a grizzly damn near anywhere here in Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. I know in the last half dozen years hete in the Root I am increasingly aware. Just a thing we have to deal with. Covid wolves would be scary though. mtmuley
I agree. We always assume we WILL encounter one

I can only speak for myself and others in this area when I say the above post is spot on. I know we see them and they bluff charge and/or just move toward us while wondering what we are doing there and sometimes they and us are both surprised when we see each other and I dont even mention it to husband let alone other people in the village . When fishing we encounter them( sometimes several of them ) every day. Here on the forum Salmonchaser has the same experience when guiding, he confronts or is confronted by many each season, some of them up close an personal, but he has only had to shoot one in 20 years. I think Redside makes a good point.

If you have a concern about it, you probably should not do so. BUT, we take children out who are that young, it depends on the child and the comfort zone of the parents. If your not comfortable doing so, I would respectively suggest that you dont.

Any time I’ve had a close run in with a grizzly I find a way to work it into every conversation I have for the next 6 months.

I’m still working my close encounter into conversations from 1986! Slacker 😂

3rd instance of this particular bear interacting with folks. Tipped a jogger over and made a mountain biker peddal real fast earlier this summer.
Has dna confirmed it as same bear that grabbed the jogger? It’s the same general area/road but I’m sure it’s not the only grizzly in that area

I/ we see parents load children of all ages into their vehicles and do all kinds of stupid things mostly involving their phones on a daily basis.
elk hunting with dad and rifle is probably one of the safest places to be on those days IMO

Has dna confirmed it as same bear that grabbed the jogger? It’s the same general area/road but I’m sure it’s not the only grizzly in that area
It's an interesting question... if within a certain proximity and time frame, I'd say likely the same. Griz are territorial as other apex predators.

Back