Great rundown on WY point creep!

Revharvey9576

Check out Eastmans new blog "What really happened in theWyoming Big Game Draw?"

Makes perfect sense.

Footnote: For those of you who now have 10 preference points for deer in Wyoming, there are some very difficult decisions headed your way in the future. Wyoming just doesn’t have a deer hunt worth 10 or more preference points in my opinion.

Part that he left out... Magazines like Huntingfool and Eastmans are driving demand by supplying information to joe smoe... who just applies for points.

I do love the part about what tags are "worth" in terms of points. Replace number of points with $1000 bills and I think we understand where this comes from? Pretty easy to make a broad statement when you lease ranches to hunt. His 10 point buck is probably different than mine. I could care less about score as long as I have a great hunt. Now if I could only get the time to burn my points.

I would love to know how the rack bracket fits in with total points? How many tangs can I get for 8 points?

Bambu stew the comments to the blog actually mentioned how the Internet and blogs etc have made it more difficult to draw

Bambu stew the comments to the blog actually mentioned how the Internet and blogs etc have made it more difficult to draw

You missed the point. Eastman's is far and away the largest contributor to the increase in popularity of WY hunting than any other media, social or otherwise. Mike Eastman's videos and books on hunting high country deer changed the hunting atmosphere forever. Just find it ironic that they're complaining about something they created... well not really. They're not the smartest circus in town.

Not sure where Guy thinks the elk herd in Wyoming is declining???

Wyoming has set harvest records the last 2 years and if there is a bright spot in Wyoming right now its definitely elk.

I wonder if in "modern history" Guy, his Dad or Granddad were ever able to legally harvest 3 elk a year in Wyoming?

The point creep is why I used my deer points now.Can't see having more money in points for a state with not the biggest deer.I sure hope I can at least start counting on elk hunting every other year though.If they have record elk numbers,why not more NR tags????

I'm gonna keep getting points. For me it's more due to time/timing. I agree with Bambi, it's the hunt that's worth the points to me.

PS- I did get a chuckle watching Jason Carter (of the Huntin' Fool Carter's) miss a huge buck, twice with his bow on TV. The "Fibber"...

Not sure where Guy thinks the elk herd in Wyoming is declining???

Wyoming has set harvest records the last 2 years and if there is a bright spot in Wyoming right now its definitely elk.

I was wondering the same thing. The first sentence of the Wyoming MRS that HE wrote says "the general outlook for elk hunting in Wyoming is very good right now."

From the blog:
Being somewhat of a math geek at heart and by education....
:
:
In 2011, five short years ago,

Isn't that 4 short years ago? Haha

HF and Eastmans have more people applying which we know decreases odds and adds to the "points" purchases.

Now I've looked at their draw odds and based on the errors I'm guessing that the "math geeks" are not the people putting together the MRS in their mags.

If they have record elk numbers,why not more NR tags????

NR's do get more tags, at least LQ type-1, 2, 4, and 5 (nr's get 16% of them).

With a hard cap of 7250 combined type-1, 2, 4, and 5 plus general the appearance is that there are no more licenses being issued.

But, the truth is that NR's gain substantial number of LQ tags when elk numbers are this high. But, the "downside" is that they get issued less general tags.

The good side to that is, that when you DO draw a general tag, the general units aren't over-run with hunters and you have a good chance at a decent bull.

Don't forget that many of the leftover cow permits are issued to NR's, so I believe that NR's are getting a very fair shake in Wyoming.

I will strongly oppose an increase to the 7250 cap if its ever proposed. There are no general units that I can think of that need more hunters shooting bulls in them.

Back