Great pics By AZ402

AZ402

I'll give the story here real quick. These pics were taken in 1999 in northern AZ. I found both the bucks a few weeks before the hunt. A friend of mine, the late Les Shelton took the pics a week before the hunt. On the fourth day of the hunt I got on the non-typ, I missed. The velvet buck was hidden from my view, he came out and I mis-took him for the non-typ( buck fever). Until I walked up on the downed deer I thought I had taken the trashy buck. The non-typ was taken by a buddy of mine(sse pic) a few days later. it has a non-typ B&C score just under 217.

AZ402

I forgot to tell you guys that the deer were taken in mid November, the velvet buck had nuts the size of raisins. He was kind of a cactus buck I guess.

Oak

Expert
Wow, awesome! That's cool that Les got pictures of the buck before your friend killed him!

Oak

Lv2hnt

Az402:

Good pics! Congrats on your cactus buck --- didn't know you were a reject from the IRA though(LOL). I'm sorry I never got to know Les; heard nothing but the best about him! That was super when he won the elk raffle tag ...

Lv2hnt

AZ402

Tom, Les was a heck of a guy, great hunter and AZ guide. He definately left us way to soon. The nite before I shot the velvet buck, I told my buddies if you glass up the cactus buck don't even call me over for a look, I want the non-typ. Any how like I said, next morning I miss the non-typ at first day-light and the rest is history.......Stan