Gratuitous Bird and Dog Photos

I’ve never hunted ruffed grouse late in the year. Should mix it up this week.
The grouse season in Alaska starts Aug. 10 and goes to the end of March.
They are not hunted very much in interior Alaska and can be fairly tame.
I am sometimes scared by them snow roosting when I stop for a break cross-country skiing.
They eat aspen buds all winter long...this one was outside our kitchen window:
bakyard_grouse.JPG

Ya, new this year he doesnt seem to like it as much as his old different brand one. It does seem to be made well and work good in icey waters.
Can't ever seem to find one that fits well. Dog seems to hate it so usually don't keep one on her anymore. I really don't know if they help or not everyone has differing opinions.

Can't ever seem to find one that fits well. Dog seems to hate it so usually don't keep one on her anymore. I really don't know if they help or not everyone has differing opinions.
My blind is on a bend in river with whitewater currents, he drifts pretty good on some retrieves so i like it for extra floatation. There are also numerous rocks and sometime ice chunks that he has to swim thru or climb on so its chest/belly protection also. I know on frigid mornings i can slide my hand between him and it and hes always warm to touch. I dont make him wear it on warmer days which i guess goes against everything i just mentioned...lol. He does love a old wool military blanket on real cold days.

Added, thats a xxl and hes 2 almost 3 about 85? Pounds and he is about 1/3 of way into adjustment of it so not sure it would fit my old lab that was stocky and almost 100 pounds.

My blind is on a bend in river with whitewater currents, he drifts pretty good on some retrieves so i like it for extra floatation. There are also numerous rocks and sometime ice chunks that he has to swim thru or climb on so its chest/belly protection also. I know on frigid mornings i can slide my hand between him and it and hes always warm to touch. I dont make him wear it on warmer days which i guess goes against everything i just mentioned...lol. He does love a old wool military blanket on real cold days.
Makes sense with the floatation.. I usually only use it in beaver ponds where there may be sharp chew offs under the surface. Not sure if the neoprene would stop that but can't hurt.

It’s worth it just for the grab handle I think. My dog launched himself into a river after a duck once and drifted down to an ice shelf that he couldn’t climb. Getting him out just by his collar wasn’t fun for either of us.

It’s worth it just for the grab handle I think. My dog launched himself into a river after a duck once and drifted down to an ice shelf that he couldn’t climb. Getting him out just by his collar wasn’t fun for either of us.
Yah never really hunt any moving water here, the handle makes sense in that situation too.

I'm definitely bragging.
It was 5 degrees and 10-15 mph wind.
She's 10. No complaints till the end when she quietly informed me she could no longer feel her fingers.
View attachment 206769
Good long retrieve for the pup on that chukar.
Somebody gets behind you and you'll be on the bumper sticker thread.😉

Looks like a great day spent with the kid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back