Grand poobah of road hunting

Ovis

I'm driving from Oklahoma to Alaska next month and I'm wondering which route offers the best possibility to maximize my road hunting prowess since it will be prime hunting season.

If you talking about hitting something while driving I"d say head west on I-40. Once you get close to the texas line you will start seeing deer carcases ever few hundred yards. Lots of headless carcases laying around out there. Not enough public land out here to do the standard type of road hunting/drinking unless you like to trespass on private.

By the way s that truck getting close to the advertized 28 mpg?

Stop by Montrose, CO for a free meal, shower and clean bed.

If you want, you can referee the 4 kids while the wife and I will go out for dinner....in your bling bling truck.

wyo: advertised is 23/17. I can't give an accurate mileage b/c Ford hasn't produced the codes to recalibrate the computer to compensate for the aftermarket tires. I haven't really kept a log of the mileage I get, but if I were to wag it I would say combined hwy and city (I drive about 50/50 currently) it is 16 or 17. Ford needs to hurry up with those codes. BTW, at what point should I turn north on I-40?

Tyson: I might could entertain that offer. No take backs...

Harley: Last time I drove from Little Rock, AR to Fairbanks I did it in 4 days. I'll be taking my time more this trip. Also will be buying my AK hunting license and having it mailed to me prior to departing. Never know what might step out in front of me between the state line and Fairbanks. I will need to restock the freezer for the winter.

Oak, do you and Tyson live close to one another?

I'm driving from Oklahoma to Alaska next month and I'm wondering which route offers the best possibility to maximize my road hunting prowess since it will be prime hunting season.

From I-40 pick up 270 just West of El Reno, run it to Elmwood and then West on 64 to Boise City. Then take 287 North to Limon, CO, switch to I-70 West to Denver. I-25 North to I-90 then West to Butte. Over to I-15 North to the Canadian border; after that you're on your own. 287 is good road with mostly truck traffic and considerable exposure to game dependent on the time of day. I know you're not actually gonna be road hunting, but there's lots of good eyeballing on that route. Good luck on your trip and leave some for seed.

Ovis,

Do look Oak and I up (and our better halfs (look but don't touch.)) ..I've a wonky work schedule, but I'd surely like to meet the legend.

Plus, we'd better meet in person before you adopt me as your brother so I can hunt AK every year.

Go west at Denver one of two ways, Highway 50 goes to my house (Montrose), I-70 goes to Oak's house (Grand Junction). Either of us would travel to say howdy.

After our celebretory activities, continue west on I-70, head north on I-15, take a left through Boise Valley, etc.

If you do drive I-70 west Colorado, you may get a strange feeling of greatness between Exit 205 and Exit 105. Don't be alarmed, it is real.

If you do drive I-70 west Colorado, you may get a strange feeling of greatness between Exit 205 and Exit 105. Don't be alarmed, it is real.

Good stretch of highway with awesome views....with speeds ranging from 40 mph to warp.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back