Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Grain bin questions?

Yes, thank you. I would appreciate dimensions and some pics. Maybe PM if you wouldn't

I've never put up a bin or taken one down, been around plenty of them going up though at work and as @Gellar stated if those guys can do it I think you'll be fine.
Some jacks, impact wrench, WD 40, 5 gallon bucket for all of the bolts🤣. It’s really pretty simple. The ones we have are maybe 800-1000 bushel bins vs the giant ones they have now. I don’t even know if grandpa ever used them. We did shoot a ton of gophers around them as kids though🤣

I've never put up a bin or taken one down, been around plenty of them going up though at work and as @Gellar stated if those guys can do it I think you'll be fine.
I’m not even talking about the people who put them up professionally. I’m thinking of all the guys whose wife sees on the Pinterest and they get one for free if they remove it from the property and haul it home strapped to their Toyota sienna.

I’m not even talking about the people who put them up professionally. I’m thinking of all the guys whose wife sees on the Pinterest and they get one for free if they remove it from the property and haul it home strapped to their Toyota sienna.
I was referring to the same people. Lol

I’ve got 5 small ones (3-18’ 2-15’) in my backyard, still use a couple for bulk seed. I use 3 of them for storage. Condensation isn’t really an issue as they’re not air tight. They are pretty straightforward to build and take down. If you disassemble you will need to recaulk the seams. Use grain bin/metal building tape (caulk on roll). You build the roof first and raise it a ring at a time. make sure you have a couple of center punches to align the holes in the sheets.

I've worked on a few. The bottom rings are thicker gauge than the top rings. If you disassemble one make sure you keep track of where each section is put together. The ones back on the farm were intalled top down. Start with roof, jack it up to add the next course, etc until its complete. I've had both grain bins and quonset huts. If I was going to go through the trouble I'd buy a quonset hut

Quonset hut install wasnt too bad but you need quite a few guys to do it. Here is one that is 30x35. Me and bro-in-law did all the ground prep, rebar, plastic, etc and had 7 guys help us lay down the concrete. The next week we had the same guys help us assemble the shell.

MVIMG_20190823_163334.jpg

IMG_20190907_171419.jpg

Ever tried to install a flat pegboard on a curved wall? My gut feeling is that unless you have lots of long dimensional scrap lumber the framing and sealing of a door, as well as the additional framing to support it could be as much expense as a tuff shed.

The logistics of disassembling, transporting, and reassembling a 12 ft diameter one would mean the completion of the project and the process of doing it has to be more of a priority than the actual functionality of the structure. There are plenty of videos on You tube of folks moving them...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=convert+old+grain+bin+to+shed

Last edited:
Reactions: Hem
Well with unlimited time and money I'd stick build. Radiant heating, etc. But in 2 weekends we had a concrete floor and had the primary structure built. We stick framed the end walls. The only thing we hired out was the spray foam. It worked for us working 40 hour week jobs and able to get alot done with family and friends on 2 weekends.

Cheap storage and quick would be shipping containers.

image.jpg

image(1).jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

If you have a tractor with a front end bucket and it can reach good height put a chain on it and drop down through the top and then chain a tire to the chain and you can lift the whole granary up and move it to a trailer to be moved. We did one that way and moved it about 5 miles or so. Then you just have to move the bottom and set it all up.

Reactions: Hem
Great feedback, thanks one and all.
A few bullet points:
- just need a small storage space, I already have a shop.
- if a bin keeps grain dry, ought to be fine for my purposes. Note: take a look at all the storage facilities in every direction.
-I would erect on a slab, probably with buried wire mesh around perimeter to keep the little b-stds from tunneling in at grade.
- not really interested in gentrification of said structure thereby becoming one of " them". But I like the possibilities.😁
- putting a door in a round wall, piece of cake. Don't need a youtube video, I'm a builder by trade.

I'm gonna do a cost comparison anyway versus building a shed.
The HOA won't complain since our rural subdivision has a water tank for fire suppression....yep, disguised as a grain bin.
So far only one snafu....the better half thinks it will be a shoddy( not sheddy🤣) addition to our property. Guess I still don't have her figured out after 23 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back