Grain bin questions?

Hem

There is a bunch of annoying " stuff" in my shop and garage that needs to be put elsewhere....tires, garden tools, lawnmower, fertilizer, hoses. Standard fare.
Problem is I'm particular about appearance and want a small structure that is unique. So surely I can design something conventional and tweak the roof design, build it on site, and be done.
A grain bin of modest size would be a fun alternative though, harmonious to the landscape. Curious if anyone has dismantled and reconstructed a used bin, would that be a pain in the azz? I speculate alot of stubborn fasteners.
Clearly used would be more cost effective, and I would prefer the muted, oxidized look anyway. Haven't checked in to general bin sizes but something around 12' in diameter might suffice.
HOA might question the idea, cross that bridge.
Appreciate any feedback .

I might have just the thing for you. These might be able to fit right on a truck if we could lift whole. Have two of them on our place in MT and they are no longer in use. Let me do a measure on google to get approx size

• Love
Reactions: Hem
Looks to be about 12’ diameter. I’m guessing they are 60+ yrs old but look pretty good. I could have dad go get a rough idea on how tall they are and snap some pics

Looks to be about 12’ diameter. I’m guessing they are 60+ yrs old but look pretty good. I could have dad go get a rough idea on how tall they are and snap some pics
Yes, thank you. I would appreciate dimensions and some pics. Maybe PM if you wouldn't mind.

Are you originally from California? :D

The ones I've seen are just curved plates bolted together. Lots and lots of bolts. They usually have a few tie rods crossing in the center to support the horizontal load from the grain, but as a shed, I don't think you'd need them, or move them to the roof line. I'm not sure how well they'd do with condensation if you planned on storing tools and things inside?

Reactions: Hem
I’ve never dismantled one but if some of the people I’ve seen repurpose a grain bin can do it it must be fairly straightforward. I’d want some sort of crane or tractor with a fairly high lift to make it easier.

Are you originally from California? :D

The ones I've seen are just curved plates bolted together. Lots and lots of bolts. They usually have a few tie rods crossing in the center to support the horizontal load from the grain, but as a shed, I don't think you'd need them, or move them to the roof line. I'm not sure how well they'd do with condensation if you planned on storing tools and things inside?
Are you originally from California? 😀
It's dry as a bone here in Three Forks. Haha.
A career of building square structures, I need a little variety.
But to answer your question I'm originally from rural New England where people continue to remodel homes built before the West was settled.

I think you have been buying too many cinnamon rolls at Wheat Montana lately. 😁
Listen everybody, I don't want to live in it, I just want to put chit in it. Haha
Those cinnamon rolls are not homemade.
Straight from Sisco. Think it's been 20 years since I bought one. Plus there has been evidence of arsenic in ground water in that vicinity. 🤣

Listen everybody, I don't want to live in it, I just want to put chit in it. Haha
Those cinnamon rolls are not homemade.
Straight from Sisco. Think it's been 20 years since I bought one. Plus there has been evidence of arsenic in ground water in that vicinity. 🤣
Their whole motif is grain bin architecture. Sneak over there at night and take one down and load it in your truck. Just don't drink the water!

I've never put up a bin or taken one down, been around plenty of them going up though at work and as @Gellar stated if those guys can do it I think you'll be fine.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back