Graduation Gift

StHubert

So my nephew is going to be graduating from high school at the end of May. So instead of giving him money, I thought I would give him some of the necessities to go back county hunting and camping. My plan is to get a back pack and fill it up with some of the important basics that he should have.

So, my question is "What do you think I should put in there?" If you know of a place to get it at a good discount, please provide a link.

Thank you.

A few things that are always in my hunting pack!

A good field dressing knife, compass/map, fire starters, Wyoming saw or similar light weight pack saw, hydration bladder, 30' 1/8" Samson braid rope, 12-18" 3/8" Hollow plastic tubing (handle for drag rope), Good quality game bags, headlamp, good LED flashlight, and spare batteries for all electronics.

If you have enough time, one thing that was really special gift to me around that age was a custom hunting knife. Mine is made by Skyblade knives in Belgrade, MT. http://www.skybladeknives.com/ It is seriously the best knife I've ever used, and is still the knife that I use for all my field dressing and skinning.

Try camofire.com they have discount stuff that is pretty good deals. I would get him a good set of huntin clothes maybe. I would suggest an eberlestock pack for him it you want a good quality pack

I like to provide an experience that will be memorable long after I am dust. Money gets spent. Objects wear out. Memories are forever.

Is there somewhere you could take your nephew for a memorable hike or a hunt? Pronghorn hunts are usually high odds of getting a representative buck. Unlike an elk or mule deer rack, a representative pronghorn is not a mere shadow of a great pronghorn. Hikes to top of a tall ridgeline or mountain summit provide views unlike anything I saw growing up in Midwest farm country.

Most of my first hunting and hiking items were "hand me downs" and I actually valued these more since had "blood and guts" on them so were seasoned and proven rather than something shiny and new. I still have my first hunting knife, compass and .22 rifle which were all hand me downs and I perhaps kept them because they were durable items not prone to become obsolete in a few years. I am not a pack rat but am more likely to keep items handed down to me since I feel as if a custodian of the item rather than the final owner.

Thanks for the replies, there are some great ideas I never thought about like the custom knife. I plan on spending upto $750 or $1,000. I was going to give him cash, but thought this would be a better gift.

Lope, I plan on taking him hunting as well. :D

I like to provide an experience that will be memorable long after I am dust. Money gets spent. Objects wear out. Memories are forever.

Is there somewhere you could take your nephew for a memorable hike or a hunt? Pronghorn hunts are usually high odds of getting a representative buck. Unlike an elk or mule deer rack, a representative pronghorn is not a mere shadow of a great pronghorn. Hikes to top of a tall ridgeline or mountain summit provide views unlike anything I saw growing up in Midwest farm country.

Most of my first hunting and hiking items were "hand me downs" and I actually valued these more since had "blood and guts" on them so were seasoned and proven rather than something shiny and new. I still have my first hunting knife, compass and .22 rifle which were all hand me downs and I perhaps kept them because they were durable items not prone to become obsolete in a few years. I am not a pack rat but am more likely to keep items handed down to me since I feel as if a custodian of the item rather than the final owner.

The essential camping gear is so personal it is tough to recommend one brand or model of anything without knowing some background and plans for the future.

I think about myself, a California kid who went to Idaho with elk on the brain. What I would have wanted then, would not be what I would recommend now. My idea would be to give him things he will use immediately in the next year. If you are doing a back pack hunt, then supplies for that.

As a college student, This is what I remember:
  • Backpack trips for big game were not in the cards. Day and weekend hunts were plentiful.
  • My first frame pack was bought at a gear swap. an EMS external frame model. It worked for packing out my only Idaho buck. I found out later it was a ladies model...
  • Good shoes I used all the time. Lot of walking around campus, and salt on the side walk destroyed shoes in the winter.
  • I needed better financial wisdom. Especially Saving and Budgeting.
  • The best gift a College kid can EARN is graduating from college Debt free, with the finances to pursue their dream rather than take the first job they can find...

That is some good advice. He will be going to college at in Aberdeen SD. So there are plenty of opportunities to hunt and fish.

The essential camping gear is so personal it is tough to recommend one brand or model of anything without knowing some background and plans for the future.

I think about myself, a California kid who went to Idaho with elk on the brain. What I would have wanted then, would not be what I would recommend now. My idea would be to give him things he will use immediately in the next year. If you are doing a back pack hunt, then supplies for that.

As a college student, This is what I remember:
  • Backpack trips for big game were not in the cards. Day and weekend hunts were plentiful.
  • My first frame pack was bought at a gear swap. an EMS external frame model. It worked for packing out my only Idaho buck. I found out later it was a ladies model...
  • Good shoes I used all the time. Lot of walking around campus, and salt on the side walk destroyed shoes in the winter.
  • I needed better financial wisdom. Especially Saving and Budgeting.
  • The best gift a College kid can EARN is graduating from college Debt free, with the finances to pursue their dream rather than take the first job they can find...

I just picked up a barely used badlands pack on ebay. About the same prices as camofire, but there seems to be packs more often on ebay.

Always have a Havalon in my pack.

He will be going to a college in Aberdeen, SD and on another sight people suggested to buy him a couple cases of ammo and that kind of stuff. I like all of the ideas I am getting.

Why didn't I have an uncle like you around for my graduations? What do you plan on getting him when he graduates college……a new hunting truck? LOL
I think it's cool that you are gonna hook him up like that. There are many ways you can go with it. Be sure and keep us posted on what you end up getting.

Why didn't I have an uncle like you around for my graduations? What do you plan on getting him when he graduates college……a new hunting truck? LOL
I think it's cool that you are gonna hook him up like that. There are many ways you can go with it. Be sure and keep us posted on what you end up getting.

I will keep you updated. This is turning out to be kinda of fun to figure this out and see all of the great suggestions people are giving.

I don't have any ideas that haven't already been mentioned, but it's for sure he is going to remember what you get him. The other things he gets will be nice & thoughtful, just not as memorable. From waaaay back in the day when I graduated, the only gift I really remember was a fly fishing rod.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back