Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Gps

ELKCHSR

I'm getting ready to purchase a new GPS and have been doing quite a bit of research

The eTrex Vista HCx seems to be the best 'all around' unit for my applications I could find

It's real close to the eTrex Legend HCx except it has a couple more features, one is barometric pressure (not to interested) and a magnetic compass (interesting) that would come in handy

I like the fact that there is a removable memory card and can pick up a one gig chip at Adorama for about $12

The old Garmin '72' (got it when it was new technology) I have is really outdated for what is out there now and is tough to get signals in timbered areas, plus it's a little bulky for what I'm after

Any thoughts or opinions?

LOL...

What would be the fun in that...

I could just drive it and see far more ground in shorter amount of time... ;)

I've got the Legend HCx I believe. (It has a color screen and accepts memory chips). I'm real pleased with it so far. Batteries last a while and I got the topo chip that has Montana Idaho and Utah pre-programmed into it.

Sptz, have you found the batteries to drain faster with the compass turned on?

I've never paid close enough attention. I just leave it on most of the day while I hunt to keep track of my routes and points and usually get at least a few full days out of it.

One of the issues about battery life is that they are only supposed to last 25 continous hours

So that would fit with the write ups on this gadget...

I got a Legend for Christmas. Havn't really used it much other than dicking around with it in the car and what not. The battery life is no where near 25 hours if the screen is lit. I suppose if you turned it on and just let it track it would last a lot longer though.

I'm not sure if the compass would be worth it or not, guess it wouldn't hurt to have, mine doesn't have it so I'm not sure what I would be missing? You only have to walk a few steps for it to kick in, and if you've been tracking yourself you can see the general direction you're walking anyway.

Its much faster at aquireing a signal, and tracking in the tree's than the old versions.

I have an older Garmin Summit, no color display but I find the electronic compass handy. You don't have to move to get the bering to show on the display. The compass does use more energy so your batteries don't last as long but you can turn it off when you don't need it. I still carry a regular compass with me too. The maps are great additions.

I have the Vista Hcx and I am really pleased with it. I have a 2 gig card and right now I have Wy, Ut, Id, Mt, and Sd in it, and it doesn't even come close to using half the memory. It works well in heavily covered areas. Havent played with the compass much but I really like the color screen and these GPS' are way easy to use.

I often thought about upgrading to one with the compass but I will just wait until I destroy or loose the one i got (should take a couple years or less..) I think the only time i will really find the compass handy is coming back to camp in the dark.

I wouldn't worry about the compass. The one I use at work has it and that function is near worthless, IMO, unless all you need are general directions. If I use a compass it's generally for a bearing and the one I've played ain't gonna do that.

Though I have used one, the new Bushnell Onix GPS have some pretty neat features. You can download color aerial photos and even hook into the Sirius network for music and weather reports.

I used to have a Garmin... but a couple years ago I gave it up and sold it. I now use rocks and drink my pee :D :D

I've got the Garmin 60csx and highly recommend it. The etrex you're looking at would be good too, but for just over $100 more you can get the 60csx. Mine does have the electronic compass, and when I got it I really didn't think it would be that useful, since I always carry a "real" compass anyway, but now I wouldn't want to be without it. If you don't have the electronic compass you have to be moving in order to get a bearing. Here's a link to where I purchased my unit:

http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/60csx.htm

It's only $299 now, about $100 less than I paid a year and a half ago.

Well I broke down and bought the eTrex Vista HCx

I like the fact it isn't to big or bulky

Not to many "extra" functions that I'd never use any way

A removable chip that can be put directly into my puter to download onto my maps

The Vista has a built in compass where the Legend didn't (Vista also has a barometer but not sure if I'll ever use it)

So, will get to pick it up next week, just right for the little walk I'll be taking in the near future as soon as a little more snow leaves the high country

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back