Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GPS vs. Smart phone

kmf

What GPS app does anyone recommend for a smart phone. I had to have service on my iPhone for anything I tried and it was really hard on the battery. Also, when it is cold my phone doesn't last long.

Avenza's PDF Maps application...I haven't seen anything else that comes close in comparison. It's the total package, doesn't need service, and everything you need to operate effectively is 100% free. This coupled with a SPOT Connect and you're good off-the-grid for weeks at a time if necessary.

There are some good options for backcountry battery back-up, just make sure you experiment before it's go time.

Another couple that work well are Locus Lite and Galileo. I used both of those as well as Avenza in WY last year. They work great! Main thing is to make sure you have the data downloaded before you leave. I use Dropbox to manage storage of the maps/data I'm using.

I use "Backcountry Navigator" app on my samsung s3 phone. One thing I do to save battery is a put it into airplane mode which keeps it from searching for phone towers, that adds a lot of time to the battery life. It has worked well for me, you can download maps you are going to ahead of time so you don't have to worry about having 3G or 4G when you are hunting.

I've found Trimble to be very helpful. And it had maps that can be downloaded so when your not in a service area it still tracks you.

I like the Trimble app as well. However, I limit my phone usage to planning at home and at camp, and use a dedicated GPS unit in the field. The GPS is much more durable, much easier to read outside, and the battery lasts much much longer.

I've found Trimble to be very helpful. And it had maps that can be downloaded so when your not in a service area it still tracks you.

I second this. Worked great for me when I needed it. It doesn't have walk in areas or maps for all western states, but if it has what you need it'll work for you. The app is pretty cheap too, so if it doesn't work you'll only be out a few bucks.

I am fond of backcountry navigator. The Garmin has been left in the vehicle more times than not

Another couple that work well are Locus Lite and Galileo. I used both of those as well as Avenza in WY last year. They work great! Main thing is to make sure you have the data downloaded before you leave. I use Dropbox to manage storage of the maps/data I'm using.
Need any new maps this year?

I am fond of a basic map,and a little common sense.my smart phone stays at camp...along with the g.p.s..But I am old school.

If your looking for a good smartphone app--- one of the boards sponsors has an app... Hunting GPS maps... I think they changed names to onx maps or something. I have it on my iphone and also a gps card for my Garmin--- Love it! Gives great confidence in knowing I am not trespassing.

I am fond of a basic map,and a little common sense.my smart phone stays at camp...along with the g.p.s..But I am old school.

I am actually surprised this point took so long to come up. This should not be old school - this is a ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY SKILL. There is no substitute for knowing how to read paper maps and shooting an azimuth with a compass. Smartphones, GPS units - these are only tools...NOT replacements for skilled woodsmanship. Batteries will die. When they do, you had dang sure better be able to navigate the ol' fashioned way. Map reading and non-battery assisted navigation is not difficult, it just takes some practice.

Mapper ACME is a great alternative to buying expensive USGS maps. Make your own PDFs (there are a zillion options and overlays) with the 11"x17" option. Save the maps to a flash drive and carry them to your local Kinkos to print for 21 pennies a piece. Fold them strategically and carry in Ziploc bags for weather proofing. Paper maps are my primary navigation tool too (initial nod to Hem) and SHOULD BE for everyone.

I have to agree there is no substute for a paper map and a good compass no batteys no app just the facts. if you know how to shoot and azmith your are never lost.

Great input and ideas. I thought of starting a GPS vs. paper map debate but September will be here soon.

HUNT Mobile App

Hey everyone, saw the conversation and thought I would chime in. We here at onXmaps have put out an app in the last year called HUNT by onXmaps. It is available for the both iPhone and Android markets. You can always download it and try it out for a 7 day free trial and see what you think. You might be familiar with our HUNT line of GPS maps, which the HUNT App is based on. The main feature is that we display private land ownership information for most parcels in the state. You can easily find out who owns a piece of land and get their contact info right from your device, saving you time tracking down landowners to find out if they allow hunting or recreation.

Some little known facts, you don't need cell service to use our HUNT App. Before you go out into the field you cache the area you plan on hunting onto your phone so there is no need to load any maps. Another feature we have is Field Mode, it is like Airplane Mode in the sense that it turns off features that are not needed while running our HUNT App, thus saving battery.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/store/mobile-apps

I don't use a paper map either unless I am doing a long backpacking trip in big country (in which case I believe they are important) . I will not got lost if my gps dies while out hunting..... I won't go in to detail but it involves common sense and experience.

Back to topic - I prefer smartphones, especially now that the gps chips are more sensitive. I use backcountry navigator with public land add-on. I also use my Garmin, but typically as a backup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back