Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

GPS "technology"??

Google Caltopo. You have the capability in that mapping program to build custom geo-referenced PDFs using imagery/topo/USGS background and you can mark up the maps however you want them. Then you just email them to your phone and import it into Avenza.

Caltopo is awesome. I'd add that any ArcGIS Online webmap/app that has a print widget will print out a georeferenced PDF. Fire fighters will spin up a map in CalTopo or some publicly available web app and be using that map via a mobile device on the fireline in minutes. All it takes is one person with connectivity, and then they can airdrop the PDF to everyone else.

There's a reason the USFS and others utilize Avenza for operations. There are no bugs, it's simple, and it always works.

Caltopo is awesome. I'd add that any ArcGIS Online webmap/app that has a print widget will print out a georeferenced PDF. Fire fighters will spin up a map in CalTopo or some publicly available web app and be using that map via a mobile device on the fireline in minutes. All it takes is one person with connectivity, and then they can airdrop the PDF to everyone else.

There's a reason the USFS and others utilize Avenza for operations. There are no bugs, it's simple, and it always works.

Yeah honestly I use onx for 90% of my mapping needs because it's very much plug and play. That said Alaska is another beast entirely and that's the main place where I see these georefed maps as a game changer.

Total tangent, sorry OP, but last summer I hunted Adak and the map options blew, so I created my own map and published it as a service and downloaded it onto ARCGIS collector. Obviously not a viable solution for most people.

Also if anyone ever goes to Adak shoot me an email... I literally have the only decent map of the island in existence lol

I was all over the ONX app when it first came out, was horribly disappointed, and went back to my Garmin for a few years.

Just last week I re-tried the app, and it's a thousand times better than those first few versions they put out. I wish I would have waited until they had the bugs worked out the first time.

I still won't use the phone for saving or sharing waypoints though (call me paranoid).

I spoke too soon on this. The app left me high and dry again on Saturday. Back to the Garmin.

I can't be the only one that can't figure out how to make this thing reliably work am I?

I spoke too soon on this. The app left me high and dry again on Saturday. Back to the Garmin.

I can't be the only one that can't figure out how to make this thing reliably work am I?

What was the issue specifically?

What was the issue specifically?

It just wouldn't load the saved map. I went in to offline mode, restarted the app, restarted the phone, went in to airplane mode etc. No matter what I did it wouldn't load. It showed the map as being there in my saved content, and I had checked it the week before at home in offline mode with no issues.

Is your app up-to-date? I've noticed it can get glitchy if they push an updated and I don't download it.

Is your app up-to-date? I've noticed it can get glitchy if they push an updated and I don't download it.

I can check, but I signed up for and downloaded the app just a couple weeks ago, so it can't be that far behind.

Just reassures to me that the app is a cool tool, but it's not something I'm going to rely on in place of my Garmin.

Back