MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

GPS "technology"??

pointingdogsrule

So I am NOT tech smart. I have a Garmin GPS and I use it, however, it can be quite small and hard to see in bright light. Not really looking into buying a new GPS.

Here is the question: With all the tech updates is it possible to use my "smart phone" as a GPS? Do I always need to have cell reception?

I am planning a return trip to fish Alaska. The service is spotty at best. This time we will take a rental boat and I was hoping to mark areas that hold Halibut and salmon. Using a "smart phone" would make things easier if this technology is around.

Sorry if this question is stupid :). Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Your smart phone GPS is generally always working. It's your phone's ability to load the map that is the issue when you try to pull up maps with little to no service. With OnX you can predownload the maps so that you can use it without service and it will use that map along with your location. Hope that is a good explanation.

If you want to save a few bucks on OnX they are running a father's day promotion for 30% off and at times can find it on camofire for 40% off

Yes.
Your phone has a GPS in it that locates the phone and helps it establish its location in relation to cell towers which are actually used to make calls.

Your phones GPS will work on airplane mode without service, but you need an app like ONXmaps that saves baseman layers to your phone in order so show you where you are.

I have used my phone and a garmin mini as May mapping and communication devices on my last 2 Alaska trips.

I haven't used a standalone GPS in a few seasons now. I only use my smartphone with OnX. Feel free to pm me with questions.

Thanks for al the replies. Just got off the phone with ONX. Seems to be what I need. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now a "little" more tech smart:)

good luck to all
the dog

Make sure you have some recharging capability. IMO, the only drawback of using a phone is that you can't easily swap out spare batteries in your pack, especially when it gets cold; which will sap your battery faster. I carry a battery pack that will recharge my phone about 5 times.

It's also a good idea to take a look at background apps that are draining your battery. I got a new phone prior to my Idaho bear hunt, and was shocked at how quickly the battery was draining. A check on the battery health summary showed me the settings I need to change (Maps was set to always allow location).

FWIW I've been using my phone with and old school garmin for back up for a long time. Used to us back country navigator now use Onx. Never had any problems as long as you preload and manage battery, which is not hard.

It's also a good idea to take a look at background apps that are draining your battery. I got a new phone prior to my Idaho bear hunt, and was shocked at how quickly the battery was draining. A check on the battery health summary showed me the settings I need to change (Maps was set to always allow location).

Interesting. Even on airplane mode?

I use onX and navionics on my phone. The navionics is better suited for fishing as it is lake and river topographical charts. I got the USA and Canada version for $9.95. If you Download maps you will need on your trip when you are on WiFi you can run your cell on airplane mode. I can get 2-3 days without a recharge on my iPhone 6s.

Never used anything other than onX like was previously make sure you have charging options. Predownload ANY map you think you might need. I have made that mistake before. Ended up going somewhere I had not super planned to go.

If you have access to precreated PDF maps or have the ability to make them, I use Avenza. The maps will take up way less space, the app is far more lightweight, and your battery will last twice as long. Pretty much all the data in an OnX map is publicly available.

I was all over the ONX app when it first came out, was horribly disappointed, and went back to my Garmin for a few years.

Just last week I re-tried the app, and it's a thousand times better than those first few versions they put out. I wish I would have waited until they had the bugs worked out the first time.

I still won't use the phone for saving or sharing waypoints though (call me paranoid).

If you have access to precreated PDF maps or have the ability to make them, I use Avenza. The maps will take up way less space, the app is far more lightweight, and your battery will last twice as long. Pretty much all the data in an OnX map is publicly available.

Avenza is really great. I used to download USGS quads on that and use them all the time. I was disappointed to see the USGS quads no longer offered in their store.

Avenza is really great. I used to download USGS quads on that and use them all the time. I was disappointed to see the USGS quads no longer offered in their store.

Georeferenced PDFs of every USGS topo ever made, including modern ones, are available for free. I download them here and use them in Avenza all the time. Just download them and open them in Avenza.

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back