Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Got wood?

T Bone

I found this little gem on the clearance rack and just couldn't say no. I'm a sucker for nice wood and blued steel. It literally jumped into my hands.

I've heard that Winchester 70's will kill stuff. Even if it is in the retarded 300 wsm.

I'm hoping it shoots as well as it looks.

It'll be wearing a Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 in Talleys. Probably will bed the action first thing.

picture.php

picture.php

I look forward to many years of beating it up.

I found this little gem on the clearance rack and just couldn't say no. I'm a sucker for nice wood and blued steel. It literally jumped into my hands.

I've heard that Winchester 70's will kill stuff. Even if it is in the retarded 300 wsm.

I'm hoping it shoots as well as it looks.

It'll be wearing a Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 in Talleys. Probably will bed the action first thing.

I look forward to many years of beating it up.

Thems fightin words! I love my 300WSM even though it wasnt my first choice of caliber.

Congrats on the new toy, it is beautiful. Hope it shoots as nice as it looks. My 70 (.270)shoots like crap :(

That's a good looking rifle. Looks like a featherweight? I've killed lots of critters with a featherweight M70 in .270Win.

Oak, thats what I've got. It doesnt care for the factory ammo I shoot so I'll try to make up a load for it.If that doesn't work I'll get rid of it.

What a nice looking piece T, always had a hankering for the 70 FW...think you're gonna like the 300 short mag. I sure like mine, and more important, I trust it.

very nice looking hunk of wood on that rifle stock. I think you'll like the short mag.

Hey T Bone, wasn't it you that was 'down sizing' his hunting stuff and getting rid of all his guns? You can send this one to me, I'll take care of it for you.

ya. i downsized.

got rid of 3 rifles, got this one.

for big game, i've this 300, my lightweight 30-06, and gramps 30-06.

for little stuff, i've the 223.

I don't see myself needing anything more gun than a 300 or 30-06.

The wood-metal finish on this winchester is unbelievably tight. Getting the bottom metal off finally came out with some coaxing. Now I can't seem to budge the action, it should just pop out.

Any ideas?

Is it a supergrade? Looks like mine, which is a supergrade. best I can tell from the pic. Beautiful wood regardless.

Winchester "beds" their actions. Meaning they squirt a little glue in the tang area when they assemble, not a true bedding job. I'm guessing thats the problem. They don't leave any relief. I’d try a little force on the barrel or stick it in the freezer for a while.

Bambi, you must be a rocket scientist.
A couple hours in the freezer worked like a charm.
It's bedded from the factory! I looked it over, checked clearances around the action and barrel, and put my Dremel and Acra-gel bedding away.
picture.php

picture.php

I did relieve 1/32" from about 2" of the barrel channel where it was in light contact with the barrel. I'm resealing that area, and will put it back together tomorrow.

I don't know if all Win 70's are bedded like this or this "2008 Special Edition".
picture.php

Waiting on the mounts/rings to get here....

I have a few winchesters, the newest one was made in 2005 if I remember right, a SS/syn 325WSM, it was bedded as well. I have another that was made in 93-94, one of the first Classics, it was bedded from the factory too, but the stuff they used was more like silicone caulk than bedding. It was a PITA to get out. I think they started doing it when the classic action came out. I have some old take off stocks off XCR's that don't have bedding in them. So who knows.

Back