Better glass or more magnification?

Brandon270

Hey guys I'm slowly saving and putting together my first big game rifle. It will be a midgrade to budget level set up. Currently my plan is for a weatherby vanguard in 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor or 25-06. Here in California it'll be used for hogs, deer and possibly black bear. Shots can range from 100-400yards. Where I'm stuck is my optics. I've been going back and forth between a Leupold vxfreedom 4-12x40 or a vx3i 3.5-10x40. The price difference between these two is a little over $50 but if I jumped up to the next higher power vx3i it's a $200 increase. I know some might say just save up the extra $200 but I can buy a solid amount of hunting ammo with $200, and I'm hoping to have it ready to go before deer season in late August.

I understand that the vx3i will have superior glass, but I wonder how much I'm giving up on less power if I wind up in a situation where I have to take a longer shot? My only other center fire rifle is a 223 varmint rifle with a 4-12 cheap vortex scope but all my hunting shots have been under 200 yards. I'm just wondering if 10 power just isn't enough for that 400 yard shot at a deer. I'll be using a range finder and will most like choose the windplex reticle.

I personally, would save up for the VX-3i. That's because I did and I'm glad I did. It's also a CDS model. Vanguards are nice rifles, I would match it with as good of a scope you can! Good luck

I used a 3×9 on pronghorn for quite a few years. Plenty of magnification at 9 power for that. Most of the shots have been 200 to 350. I only took 2 shots 415-430. Both times were under ideal conditions and I had plenty of rest and a good breakfast. Both of those shots couldn't have been placed any better. The lower the power the easier it is for me to hold steady. I would think the vx3i in the 10 power would do the trick.

Better glass is more important than a little more magnification. I hunted with a 4 power scope for years then mostly 3x9 variables. I can only think of a couple of times that I shot an animal on 8-9 power. I typically carry the rifle on something around 4-5 power and usually just shoot with that magnification.

Better glass is, well better...
Most of my scopes are 4-12X40. And you can see the difference, literally, on the ones with the better glass.
For shots out to 400 yards, 10 power should do you just fine!

The VX3i is about as good a scope as you can get for the $$ and quality. 10x is more that enough magnification for almost all reasonable big game hunting shots. I don't think you could go wrong with it. CDS is also a game changer and I personally like the system. Some would disagree but I like it.

just my .02

I'm glad to hear the 3xi has been a good choice for quite a few people. It seems like a great option for the money. Looking forward to my first deer season. The only good thing about California is the seasons are long. The zone 2 hours west of me starts mid August and runs for a month and a half. And the zone two hours East is the end of September and a month long. No excuses for short seasons.

In 2013 I decided I should change some scopes around on my rifles. I removed a Vari X III 2.5x8 from my 7 mag and changed to a 4x12. I have taken 6 deer with that gun since then and non of them have been over 200 yards. I just shot them at around 5 power. I had made a few shots from 3-400 yards with the 2.5x8 and there wasn't really anything wrong with that scope. It is now on my 30-06. I just thought since I needed another scope I would get a higher power for the mag.
I think you will find that most shot opportunities are less than 300 yards so a scope over 10 power isn't really necessary 99% of the time for deer sized targets.

As far as Leupold scopes go that is all I own for my big game rifles. I have had great luck with the older Vari x II and the Vari x III scopes. The newer 3i scopes seem great also but I have no real reason to stop using the 3x9 Vari x II or III scopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back