Yeti GOBOX Collection

Got wolf tag? Anyone, anyone.....

wilecoyote76

I happened to be at Wally World tonight and picked up my 2009 Idaho Gray Wolf tag! Even if I don't get to actually shoot one, I wanted to pick up a tag 'just in case'. I'm guessing there will be some hold up in the courts and they will soon be taken away as quickly as they were issued but you never know......

Wolf tags selling fast
Submitted by Roger Phillips on Mon, 08/24/2009 - 3:20pm.

Idaho Fish and Game reported wolf tags sold so well today the computers jammed for about an hour after tags went on sale at 10 p.m.

F&G had sold about 3,500 tags by 2 p.m., averaging 875 tags per hour.

Some of the morning rush could be attributed to hunters trying to get one of the first tags issued on the historic first day of sales, but continued brisk sales seem to show hunters have lots of interest in the animals.

Tags cost of $11.50 for residents and $186 for nonresidents. A tag is good for one wolf, which may be taken in any one of the 12 wolf hunt zones in Idaho.

The first hunts start Tuesday in the Sawtooth Zone (which includes Unit 39) and the Lolo Zone. Two other wolf hunting zones are scheduled to open on Sept. 15, and the rest of the state will open on Oct. 1.

F&G set the harvest limit at 220 wolves statewide and individual limits for each zone. The season ends when the limit is reached in that zone, or the 220 mark is reached.

Hunters do not have to declare a certain zone when buying a wolf tag.

I'm going to pick one up on wednesday. I don't really plan to wolf hunt, but won't pass one up if I happen on one elk or deer hunting.

I will be hunting one of those Sept. 15th zones (middle fork).....wolf tag in hand. My hunting buddies and I have actually moved are hunting area south the past 3-4 years trying to find ground with fewer wolves. Two years ago hunting the Lolo zone it was nothing but wolves and moose.....didn't see a single elk and hunted hard for 9 days!!!!

Your chance for wolf meat sound great. There should be some way to figure out which wolf is the alpha female. My suggestion would be to shoot the alpha female. It is our best chance at population control. Also, it is my understanding that once she goes down the reaction from the rest of the pack is likely confusion.

The Middlefork eh ? I could tell you where there aer some Woves in there... Well.... Where wolves USED to be ;)

Wiley, I'm waiting till opening day. You don't get a Refund if they shut it down. I'm not donating nothing till I know it's a Season............

Moosie,

IDFG does have a refund policy if the season is shut down due to legal actions. Personally I'll hang onto my tag even if the season doesn't happen.

I'd hang onto it even if they cancel the season...tell your kids about the time you almost got to hunt woofs

Like my grampa used to say about ferral cats back here "shoot'em all boys, they're hard on the game"
he hated them cuz they ate the quail and pheasant chicks...so he had his 'own' way of dealing with the problem...lol.
While it'd be cool to have a wolf hide...from what I read the wolves are wreakin havick on big game herds in the west?...in that case I wouldn't even bother to pack the shovel in and use it!...but I'd have a tag so I'd be legal.

mnhunter...and then have to explain to them that you used to be able to hunt all the elk and mule deer before you almost got to hunt wolves...lol

This will be the very first time I have a tag I hope I DON'T fill. My experience the past few years in Idaho is no wolves.....I see elk. I see wolves.....no elk. We hunt the middlefork about 30 miles North of Stanley. Last year we heard wolves just one time the entire ten days. MUCH better than past years when we hunted higher up the handle. Twenty-one days and counting!!!

I wonder if you can call one in like coyotes. However if you started howling you may run ever elk out of the canyon your hunting in.

wolf hunt

I guided winter guest into yellowstone for some time and yes you can call to locate remember that the food chain is wolfs eat coyotes, coyotes eat fox , and fox eat small rodants. So call to locate and it does not matter if you shoot the alfa female there will be a new one that day. wolfs travel on roads and trails best place to look for sign. need more ask>

I wonder if you can call one in like coyotes. However if you started howling you may run ever elk out of the canyon your hunting in.

mountain lions?? to paraphrase uncle ted....I love vegetarians, just about everything I eat is vegetarion, with the exception of the occasional mountail lion steak.

Got my tag, plan to hunt clearwater region....cant wait. last year during elk season I saw three wolves, no elk. This year I hope to get even.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back