Got my 2014 Spring bird

JDH

Went out after work yesterday morning and spotted this guy with another tom at the border between two crop fields. The area that I hunt has a rectangle that is about 30 acres of planted timber surrounded by fields. Two edges follow a creek bed and a third edge is a levy. Once I saw where they were at I did a big loop and managed to get the levy between them and me. We were about 125 yards apart. I crawled up the levy and stuck a hen decoy on the top and waited for 5 minutes. They weren't too interested so I got out my new secret weapon - a jake fan on a stake - and every time the tom would strut I would crawl a few feet. He'd break strut and I'd sit tight. This went on for around 20-30 minutes. Well I managed to get him worked up enough that they started to come my way. Once I could see them on the top of the levy about 50 yards away I just hid behind the fan. He was 18 yards away when I took him. I couldn't believe how well the plan came together. He wasn't my biggest bird but he had around a 9" beard and one broken spur and one that measured 7/8".

Thanks everybody, Seeing all these Western hunts on here has got me trying to do some spot and stalk. I've got to admit that it's quite a bit more fun then sitting around waiting for something to happen.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back