Got lucky

Big Sky

Hey, it appears that even old guys get lucky now and then. I got this bear last night just before dark on a spot and stalk hunt. If you haven't gutted and skinned a bear out with a flashlight, you haven't lived. It made for a late night, but I'm still riding the high this morning.
BlackBear06_original.jpg

Great job Troy....what do you think he'll weigh? Nothing like working over a headlamp-take the end off of any fingers?

Thanks guys. MarvB believe it or not I didn't even nick one of my fingers. That is sort of a miracle in its self. I didn't take any measurements or weigh the bear. I was sort'a in a hurry to get off the mountain and home before it got too late. I'm guessing he's right around 175 lbs or so. Not a big bear, but I'm plenty happy with him and he broke a very long jinx for me here in Montana.

Oak, it's a Remington model 700 with a McMillan Mt. Rifle stock. It's chambered for 30.06 and is pretty much as tricked out as it can be, custom trigger, Leupold Weaver style mounts, Warne rings, Leupold scope w/target turrets, and an A-Square scope level. It choooots real gooood.

Congrats Troy. Forgive the ignorance, but I didn't know there was a huntable bear population on your side of the state. You sure that's not a large dark-phase sharptail grouse?

What's the rifle?

Rifle are for killing things... Dang oak, Still learnin'.

Kudos on breaking your Montana Jinx. I was wondering if you were going to take that to your grave ;) I think it's at least 180#. don't sell yourself short bud !!! :D Just think, next year it's T-R-O-U-B-L-E for the bears in your area !!

Thanks for setting me straight, Oscar. Now it's time to help schelmster. He's going to make a rug from the pic.

Moosie, maybe you are right. Here is another photo with me in the photo for size reference. Note it's a legit photo without trying to make the bear look bigger than it is by having it's head closer to the camera and me waaaaay behind it. In other words one can get a pretty honest guess from this photo. I'm 195 lbs and 5'11" if that helps anyone with figuring the size of the bear.
BlackBearThumb_original.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back