Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gordon Buck

ida homer

Am I the only one with skeptical hippo eyes?

Something feels off, the way it’s unfolding. I’m calling my shot now, somethings fishy. The Black Ovis thing is weird.

While this may be a legit trophy of a lifetime I am also skeptical. Why is there not a drop of blood blood on the hunter's clothes or hands or on the buck itself? No blood on the white object covering the skull on the pack. No blood oozing from the torn velvet. The hunter just happened to have a pristine Ovis Sack perfectly centered for the pic which also does not have a spec of blood or dirt anywhere?
I don't know if it's possible to manipulate mule deer antlers but those antlers sure make me think of something like this.

1396033555000-01-02XX14-XFactor.jpg

While this may be a legit trophy of a lifetime I am also skeptical. Why is there not a drop of blood blood on the hunter's clothes or hands or on the buck itself? No blood on the white object covering the skull on the pack. No blood oozing from the torn velvet. The hunter just happened to have a pristine Ovis Sack perfectly centered for the pic which also does not have a spec of blood or dirt anywhere?
I don't know if it's possible to manipulate mule deer antlers but those antlers sure make me think of something like this.

+1

+1

+1

It could be legit, but man something feels “off” so far. I hope it’s legit.

Looks like a farm raised high fence deer.

I have no idea why he posted that picture of the huge whitetail that is obviously pen raised with a tag in it's ear. The buck we're talking about is a big, ugly NT mule deer buck in velvet that the guy took with a bow and it's alleged it was taken right in CO John!

Am I the only one with skeptical hippo eyes?

Something feels off, the way it’s unfolding. I’m calling my shot now, somethings fishy. The Black Ovis thing is weird.

I don't see any reason to not congratulate the hunter at this point. Lack of blood could be a shot far back or not gutted yet, which I would assume pics would be first. The product placement and branding involved in this I think it par for what is going on in the hunting industry today, sadly.

Pathetic. It's posts like this that detour people from sharing their success photos anymore......and one of the main reasons the hunter chose to keep it quiet for this long. This IS a legitimate buck arrowed in the CO high-country above timberline. I'm told it was measured (in velvet) by two different P&Y measurers. If the hunter decides to keep the velvet on, it will be eligible for the P&Y Records Program (non-typical-velvet category). However, it will NOT be eligible for world records status, regardless of final score, unless the velvet is stripped and it is panel measured (verified). It is reportedly NOT a stag (cactus) buck, which is irrelevant, as P&Y accepts velvet stag deer (unlike B&C). It is the hunter's discretion whether he chooses to strip the velvet and have it panel measured to see if it surpasses the current world record. Either decision he makes, one thing is for certain; it's a tremendous WILD mule deer that finally surfaced on the jealous and accusatory WWW. Congratulations to the hunter on a true buck of a lifetime. Wish we all could just enjoy the photos and success.

I don't know where this buck's photo is posted, but there are a lot of pictures in the "Big Ones" thread that don't have blood showing. I also didn't know that one could identify a farm raised, high-fence deer just by looking at it. So, I really would like to see it. Learn something every day.

I don't know where this buck's photo is posted, but there are a lot of pictures in the "Big Ones" thread that don't have blood showing. I also didn't know that one could identify a farm raised, high-fence deer just by looking at it. So, I really would like to see it. Learn something every day.

Click on the link in post #10 and you'll see a number of pictures of the high country buck this is all about. The easy way to identify a pen raised deer is to just look at that whitetail buck in post #2 and you can see the numbered yellow tag in his ear. That's normally done in all of those types of facilities.

Pathetic. It's posts like this that detour people from sharing their success photos anymore......and one of the main reasons the hunter chose to keep it quiet for this long. This IS a legitimate buck arrowed in the CO high-country above timberline. I'm told it was measured (in velvet) by two different P&Y measurers. If the hunter decides to keep the velvet on, it will be eligible for the P&Y Records Program (non-typical-velvet category). However, it will NOT be eligible for world records status, regardless of final score, unless the velvet is stripped and it is panel measured (verified). It is reportedly NOT a stag (cactus) buck, which is irrelevant, as P&Y accepts velvet stag deer (unlike B&C). It is the hunter's discretion whether he chooses to strip the velvet and have it panel measured to see if it surpasses the current world record. Either decision he makes, one thing is for certain; it's a tremendous WILD mule deer that finally surfaced on the jealous and accusatory WWW. Congratulations to the hunter on a true buck of a lifetime. Wish we all could just enjoy the photos and success.

I have no reason to believe it's not legit, however I don't hold it against people who do. There are a lot of fake stories that float around the internet all the time with people looking to promote themselves. It all seems legit to me but I also wouldn't be surprised if later on down the road it was proven not to be.

Greenhorn, I forgot about that picture.......

That is one ugly mule deer. Record or not.

The Rompola (sp?) buck from Michigan isn't too handsome either in my opinion. It certainly faded from the scene. Was there ever any "official" determination of the true story?

The Rompola (sp?) buck from Michigan isn't too handsome either in my opinion. It certainly faded from the scene. Was there ever any "official" determination of the true story?

Nope. I Google it once a year or so around deer season to see if anything has ever come of it. In Rompola's defense he's killed a ton of big bucks prior to the '98 deer including some that look pretty similar albeit smaller than the '98 buck. I don't know that we'll ever know for certain, but there were a couple of folks that had their hands on it that said it was legit.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/whitetailwednesday-defense-rompola-buck-20-years-later/

rompola3.jpg

1985-Deer-Mitch-Rompola-Grand-Traverse-Archery-181-7-8-STATE-RECORD-featured.jpg

Supposedly killed by a hardcore DIY public land hunter with a bow. Are we supposed to dislike this?

I have no idea why he posted that picture of the huge whitetail that is obviously pen raised with a tag in it's ear. The buck we're talking about is a big, ugly NT mule deer buck in velvet that the guy took with a bow and it's alleged it was taken right in CO John!

Yes it is obviously a farm raised buck. That's why there is an ear tag.
If you had bothered to read my post you might have seen that I said the mule deer antlers made me think of these farm raised bucks in how outrageous they are.

Click on the link in post #10 and you'll see a number of pictures of the high country buck this is all about. The easy way to identify a pen raised deer is to just look at that whitetail buck in post #2 and you can see the numbered yellow tag in his ear. That's normally done in all of those types of facilities.

I suppose no one has ever tried to pass off a farm raised buck as a wild buck? I'm sure it has been tried many times by unscrupulous fame seeking "hunters".

Congrats to the hunter. The jumping to conclusions, criticism, and jealousy from other hunters that accompanies the taking of a trophy animals is one of the worst aspects of hunter behavior in my opinion. You never can tell where the green-eyed monster resides till you see how some respond to success and luck.

I recently got to put my hands on a bull that grosses over 440". (lots of deductions so won't net that well) Fair chase, legal kill that will probably never be entered in any record books or featured on any magazine if the lucky hunter has his way. He has no desire for the fame, controversy, or additional hunting pressure to where he killed it. I say good for him.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back