goose decoys

RUTTIN

Im going to try decoy hunting next year. What decoys do you suggest. I bought my first two they were dave smiths. There is no way I can afford very many of them. How many do you recommend for a good spread

i have 12 Avery's with the flocked heads, the movement is awesome on these and i did well this year hunting over 12. Everyone i hunt with has the bigfeet and they love the Averys i have. It just really depends on your location, setup and how the birds are reacting

DSD's are about as expensive as you're gonna find on the shelf, I'd bet, but they look DAMN good. I haven't hunted much here, but if you're close to where they wanna be, 4 good decoys will do the job, if you're trying to pull them from where they wanna be, sometimes 200 is enough, sometimes it's not. I've got a bunch of shells, some silos, and NO full bodies, but the guys I mostly field hunted with had about 3 dozen mixed full bodies ghg, bigfoot, higdon decoys, and we usually set up about 12, and layed out among them. If we were trying to attract decoys away from someone else, or if they were flocked up in the hundreds, we'd use all the full bodies, close to where we wanted them to land, and then used the shells and silos to fill out the spread....that may not help much, but if my budget allowed it, I'd have about 6 DSD's, and about 3 dozen bigfoots....that's more than a truckload anyways.

Walt

IMO the best bang for your buck with fullbody dekes is the GHG Lesser honk decoys. A bit less money and they take up less space...which becomes very important when you start talking about spreads of 100+ dekes. Used w/ motion stakes they will be as realistic as anything out there.

The type of hunting will dictate the decoys as well. If your going to be packing the decoys any distance go w/ a silo decoy.

Another cheap (relative term) way to add bulk to your spread is to use shells. I am a big fan of the GHG shells, which you can either put on the ground or use w/ motion stakes. I also like using them with sleeper heads in really cold weather late in the season.

my .02

DSD's are about as expensive as you're gonna find on the shelf, I'd bet, but they look DAMN good. I haven't hunted much here, but if you're close to where they wanna be, 4 good decoys will do the job, if you're trying to pull them from where they wanna be, sometimes 200 is enough, sometimes it's not. I've got a bunch of shells, some silos, and NO full bodies, but the guys I mostly field hunted with had about 3 dozen mixed full bodies ghg, bigfoot, higdon decoys, and we usually set up about 12, and layed out among them. If we were trying to attract decoys away from someone else, or if they were flocked up in the hundreds, we'd use all the full bodies, close to where we wanted them to land, and then used the shells and silos to fill out the spread....that may not help much, but if my budget allowed it, I'd have about 6 DSD's, and about 3 dozen bigfoots....that's more than a truckload anyways.

Walt
DSD!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back