Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

Serious inquiry regarding the Unlimited Sheep:

How much interest or support is there to have a sub-chapter of sorts of the WSF solely focused on promoting Unlimited style sheep hunting?

This thread, if nothing else, highlights the multitudes of people out there that hold the ULs in high regard, whether they participate in the hunt or not. I know within my group of friends, the Montana Wild Sheep Foundation Banquet seems to be the place where a small group of us can run into each other and discuss the unique issues that face the ULs, versus the limited draw hunts. There are numerous guys on here that have the passion and a few connections to maybe make something of it.

It's not that the Unlimited Sheep hunts don't benefit from the hard work and efforts of the WSF, but that they face issues that limited hunts don't. I look at HB202- A well intentioned bill to make MSG in Montana a Once-In-A-Lifetime opportunity that failed this past spring. While this seems great for limited draw hunts, it could seriously impact the Unlimiteds. Anyone here who doesn't think that removing opportunity for those most passionate about these hunts and locations would negatively impact the whole system in a multitude of ways is short sighted, IMO. Sheep hunting in the United States has become the past time for the wealthy more than any other species I can think of. Go to a banquet, and the vast majority of people are either waiting to get their one opportunity in a draw, have had their one opportunity, or they are financially in a place where they can go year in and out. Nothing like an RMEF, DU, or PF banquet where most everyone is on "equal" footing. The Unlimited Hunts go in the face of this, and as such, have gained the reverence that they have.

However, I fear that we are one legislative change, or even one retirement away, from having this very thing fade away. We can see the writing on the wall, locally at least, that hunting and species management decisions have become political. Without a unified and active voice to advocate for what we all see as an incredible gift, we may very well lose "this" to a decision made in marble and mahogany halls instead of the rocky crags of the Beartooths.

I think a local chapter within the MTWSF is possibly a start, but I would much rather see a national subchapter of the WSF. That way the influence and advocacy could potentially be used to promote this style of hunt in other locations outside of Montana.

I don't know where to start with this, and am by no means someone with the voice to take this baton to the finish line. But I know there's a grassroots community out there of our members, as well as those without the online footprint of HT, that I would fully support in this endeavor.

I don't need responses to this posed question- but I guess I would ask that you each consider what the ULs mean to you and get involved in some manner to ensure that in the meantime, we have a voice.

Probably, since yours wasn't taken in an UL unit. But you have likely noticed that we tend to rein in the hall monitors too, since we all enjoy the wild sheep and their environs.

Personally, I would really enjoy seeing a photo or two of your grandfathers 1982 unlimited ram. Do you know which unit he hunted?
He was in the Spanish peaks right before it became a draw.

on the true OIL state is short for a Once In A Lifetime tag, so in Idaho if you fill a sheep tag you are done for life and cannot kill another sheep in that state, unless its a Californian bighorn (south of I-84) then they have their own tags.

on the true OIL state is short for a Once In A Lifetime tag, so in Idaho if you fill a sheep tag you are done for life and cannot kill another sheep in that state, unless its a Californian bighorn (south of I-84) then they have their own tags.
Unless you’re rich and buy the auction tag or buy your way to the raffle tag and then keep hammering rams in the name of conservation

Thanks! My old brain couldn't dredge up a meaning, and it was much too late to wade through online search results for "OIL" :sleep:.

I have to admit, this thread is more of a chat room BUT like so many others excluding Sir @Gerald Martin , I enjoy plugging in. What truly sucks about it......there might be a joke that's 10 pages old so if you stay on top of the thread you're lost. As example. the Johnsonville summer sausage comments remain a mystery to me.
It originates much farther back than ten pages. Our illustrious EYJONAS regaled us with the tale of how he had to evacuate the wilderness while evacuating his guts along the trail--I believe it was at least two seasons ago now. He claims convenience store sausage was responsible.

It seems this pandemic has resulted in multitudes of comedians and jokesters out of work. I think they are all on Hunt Talk now! :D
I for one, can't knock the entertainment value of what is free but for the cost of the Internet access that I can't seem to live without these days anyhow.

Every once in awhile, I even get to vicariously enjoy an adventure, complete with photos, in that wondrous Absaroka Beartooth country.

It originates much farther back than ten pages. Our illustrious EYJONAS regaled us with the tale of how he had to evacuate the wilderness while evacuating his guts along the trail--I believe it was at least two seasons ago now. He claims convenience store sausage was responsible.

I think what really happened is EYJONAS saw a G-bear up close and filled his drawers!!!!! Then blamed the convenience store sausage.

What a rookie mistake @EYJONAS! . Johnsonville only does brats well. Everyone knows if you're going to take summer sausage into the field, don't mess with the imitators, only take Hillshire Farm. Their motto "If your stool is loose then it wasn't Hillshire Firm". That said, I've since migrated to Columbus Dry Salami. Slightly higher fat content for energy in the field and it pairs well with those little Laughing Cow cheese wheels.

How's that for rabbit trail on a sheep thread?

I think it's something worth bringing up the biologists that have direct involvement. Along with WSF. I have had some small talk with a few of the long time unlimited participants of this opportunity as well and the thought is very well received.

Have also talked to a few others from this site about it.

I to fear we're not to far away from this to being a forgotten pastime. Maybe only one retirement away at that......

I'll clean my act up if I'm involved😁

I suppose if rule 1 is don't talk about unlimited sheep hunting and rule 2 is don't promote it then I see your point. Simple fact of the matter is though these hunts need participation to survive. If you look back on the history of amount of tags sold it hasn't fluctuated much since the 70s.

Many people attempt this one time and never return.

There's too much other opportunities out there that present far more success that people gravitate to.

It can't soley rely on resident participation either we need NR participation. I tip my hat to those that continue to play the game it ain't easy living within 100 of the unlimited units I can't imagine living over 1000 miles away.

As far as the technology aspect, it sucks. Google earth, OnX, any social media, especially dipshits that Facebook live their shit then cry about people showing up. It's just the world we live in and need to be more secret I guess on sharing info. It's to easy to cross reference anymore, but hell Bill Butler was bumping his gums 40 years ago. That people still live and die by today......

Amirite?

I would like to see them find places that are suitable to spread this idea. There are certainly a couple in Montana. Then if a few could be opened in Idaho, and maybe another in Wyoming and they all opened at the same time, that would spread out the growing demand.
That's my thought as well. If we can promote the idea of the Unlimited style hunts, not just the 5 districts that currently allow them. I think financially, States would benefit from a hunt or two like this where it is feasible. Participation, Conservation, Observations made and shared with the biologists, and "straight cash homie" are just a few of the benefits that come to mind.
UL hunters in Montana are largely responsible for the observations that allowed for a new Goat hunting district in the Beartooths. They're also almost soley responsible for the very few Wolverine sightings that have been reported in recent years. Throw in observations of Moose, Grizzly, etc., and it's safe to say that UL hunters are a huge resource for the local biologists to get "on the ground" reports.

Monetarily, Just looking at the quick math on it from 2020: for HD 500, 18 Non-residents each paid $1250 for a sheep tag. 37 residents each paid $125 for a tag. That's $27,125 for 3 rams (quota of 2, 3 killed). Over $9000 generated per ram, and typically ~$13,000/ram for an Unlimited district. This of course doesn't take into account hunting licenses or application fees, other tags purchased such as deer, wolf, bear etc.
Meanwhile, in HD 302: 6 Residents were successful in the draw- $750. 389 total hunters applied for the hunt. I don't have a R/NR break down, but even if 383 of the total were NR (6 residents drew, so clearly not all 389 were NR), and each of the 383 purchased a bonus point when unsuccessful at $75/person, then the state pulled in $28,725. That's a total of $29,475, again not including other tags purchased or hunting licenses. $4912.50/Sheep (assuming in a typical year all 6 tag holders fill. In 2020, only 4 of the 6 did- $7368.75/ram killed).

On top of that- the draw hunters, however small, benefited from the 268 hunters that participated in the UL hunts last year, and weren't in the draw pool. 31,855 hunters applied for a sheep tag in Montana in 2020. So UL hunters make up less than 1% of the draw. 482 and 680 applicants alone make up 13,777 of the applicants. Imagine how many draw hunters would be pulled out of the point pool if each of those districts offered a 10 day, 1 ram quota, archery UL hunt? I imagine it'd exceed our 268 current UL hunters.

More importantly though, is that regardless of how busy we feel the ULs may be getting- we make up less than 1% of prospective sheep hunters in Montana. This should be on everyone's RADAR. As goes the 99%, so goes the 1%. We need a voice to continue to advocate for the "why" behind the Unlimited hunts. There is a growing demand for sheep hunting opportunities, and I believe we have a responsibility to advocate for that to ensure the current 5 districts don't become overrun or worse, go by the way side.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back