Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Goodbye, Ruger

Paul in Idaho

It has taken me a while to be ready to share this. Earlier this year my once-in-a-lifetime dog Ruger reached the end of his amazing life. He was a central part of our lives for 12 years, and 12 years is nowhere near long enough for a dog like him.

His hunting skills were incredible to watch. He started watching birds fly when he was still a pup. He could mark distant fallen birds precisely, and no cripple could escape his nose and persistence. One day at a retriever club training day, the breeder I got him from took me aside and said "You have the dog everyone here wishes they had."

He was a great family dog too. He spent a lot of time in my lap, and often asked to have his ears massaged. In typical Lab fashion, he calmly put up with our little terrier who wanted to run the house.

I don't expect to ever have another dog like him. Life has changed too much. Most of the places we hunted geese are now either covered in housing developments or leased by rich people. There are more duck hunters in less space on the river, and as I get older I'm finding it more difficult to launch a boat hours before sunrise.

I'm thankful for every minute of the time we had together. My life is better for it. Thanks for the memories, my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9464.jpeg
    IMG_9464.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8459.jpeg
    IMG_8459.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9254.jpeg
    IMG_9254.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 71
Sounds like you had an awesome and special dog, enjoy the memories. I know how tough it is when this happens, so sorry for your loss, happy trails Ruger. Damn it got dusty in here all of a sudden.

So sorry for your loss man; they never stay long enough in this life, but leave an impression on our hearts that lasts forever.

My wife took care of the end of life arrangements for our Golden girl Bella over a year ago. it literally crushed her for a solid week and she still gets misty. She said I'd have to do it for Lizzie, our recently passed Golden. Had no idea how personal and soul crushing it could be up close. We both get unspoken tears to this day.

Truly sorry for your loss @Paul in Idaho ...

I already fear this day with our newest furry family member and he's only 1. A great dog is terrible on the heart. I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
It has taken me a while to be ready to share this. Earlier this year my once-in-a-lifetime dog Ruger reached the end of his amazing life. He was a central part of our lives for 12 years, and 12 years is nowhere near long enough for a dog like him.

His hunting skills were incredible to watch. He started watching birds fly when he was still a pup. He could mark distant fallen birds precisely, and no cripple could escape his nose and persistence. One day at a retriever club training day, the breeder I got him from took me aside and said "You have the dog everyone here wishes they had."

He was a great family dog too. He spent a lot of time in my lap, and often asked to have his ears massaged. In typical Lab fashion, he calmly put up with our little terrier who wanted to run the house.

I don't expect to ever have another dog like him. Life has changed too much. Most of the places we hunted geese are now either covered in housing developments or leased by rich people. There are more duck hunters in less space on the river, and as I get older I'm finding it more difficult to launch a boat hours before sunrise.

I'm thankful for every minute of the time we had together. My life is better for it. Thanks for the memories, my friend.
Sorry to hear of another great dog gone. Come on up if you feel the urge to get back in the game.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back