Good Job RMEF!

I like RMEF, but have shifted much of my land conservation $ to TNC. Don't get me wrong, this is great public access. But I'm going to bet this is far better for recreational fisherman than recreational elk hunters. After all, FWP isn't actively waring against trout

I like RMEF, but have shifted much of my land conservation $ to TNC. Don't get me wrong, this is great public access. But I'm going to bet this is far better for recreational fisherman than recreational elk hunters. After all, FWP isn't actively waring against trout
It's winter range. Without quality winter range, there would be no recreational elk hunting.

Sometimes I'm admittedly torn that RMEF doesn't speak up on big management issues. But then wonder if it's actually better that they continue to keep kind of quiet and continue acquiring land the way they do. Turning on their land acquisition layer in OnX is a real eye opener for how much access they provide.

Nice work, RMEF.

I like to see RMEF stay out of the politics side and focus on just what they just did, conserve elk habitat and open up access.
We have other orgs that should be doing the lobbying.

Those poor elk. I think this was a bad buy on the the RMEF's part. This is in a heavily pressured area and elk often take reprieve on this parcel in plane view from the highway. Now they will be on the run even more.

Those poor elk. I think this was a bad buy on the the RMEF's part. This is in a heavily pressured area and elk often take reprieve on this parcel in plane view from the highway. Now they will be on the run even more.
Sounds like a conservation easement to me without seeing more details. Limited hunter numbers during the season could still be up to the property owner.

Sounds like a conservation easement to me without seeing more details. Limited hunter numbers during the season could still be up to the property owner.
Doesn't sound that way to me. Article states cooperation between RMEF, landowner and BLM. Conservation easements are managed by the state. It also uses the word "acquisition". I hope you are right because that would be far better for the elk.

Sounds like an easement including public access to me.

"The Seymour Creek property has been under private ownership for generations, so thanks to the private landowners, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and partners, the public can now explore an additional 3,600 acres of diverse landscapes in the Big Hole Valley,”

Season setting picks up again next year. Good time to advocate for the changes in season structure you'd like to see in order to help deal with this.

It's also a good reminder of why we have programs like Habitat Montana. A WMA can be easily closed to hunting to protect elk and ensure good winter range conditions. We're two months out from the next legislative session where I'm sure the funding for Habitat MT will be under attack again.

Back