Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Good for you Botswana

So the meat is just discarded? Left to rot? I haven’t hunted Africa but that isn’t my understanding of it.
No, the meat is used by local villages who by the way are not allowed to kill the elephants for food themselves. Im under no illusion that the hunt is not a trophy hunt and while many would bring some meat home, it is also a way for many who are more than just trophy hunters to know the meat is not going to waste.

You know Buzz, you might just sometime take a step back and try not to be a jerk.

I went on an African hunt. I cared about the meat. It was delicious. I would have paid $$ to get to take some home. It is the U.S. government that won't allow people to bring the meat home with them.

I try hard to give you some credit for the work you do for Wyoming but it really gets tiresome to see you rambling on about every topic like you are the only one that has it figured out.
It's a trophy hunt and those getting upset are the ones too afraid to admit it.

Why is that?

Not one person I've ever talked to that has hunted African isn't fully aware that there aren't bringing anything home but trophies.

Thus, it's a trophy hunt. Not about helping the locals, eating a zebra steak while you're on your shooting vacation, etc.

Why is that?

Not one person I've ever talked to that has hunted African isn't fully aware that there aren't bringing anything home but trophies.

Thus, it's a trophy hunt. Not about helping the locals, eating a zebra steak while you're on your shooting vacation, etc.
Better shooting vacation than going to a ranch in the west to shoot a pivot elk i guess.

Why is that?

The zebra steak was excellent.

I'm not upset about you calling it a trophy hunt. It's the abrasive way that you do it. Go back and read a few of your own posts where you essentially say that anyone that trophy hunts would just as soon leave the meat to rot as to eat it. That is not the case by a long shot.

My hang up with elephants is how damn smart they are. It’s one of those things where the reasoning of killing it is OK because of the clear delineation between man and beast becomes fuzzy at best.

They're one of the few non-primates that can recognize their own reflection. They can paint, have outrageously good memories, can recognize faces, etc, and they have a really long life span. It feels very different to me than killing a turkey or a buck; animals that would only make it a decade at best and aren’t capable of any sort of higher reasoning.

Idk, doesn’t sit right with me, so I wouldn’t do it. But, obviously there needs to be something done for management.

The plain truth is that ANY western govenment having the balls to dictate wild life management to an African nation with sustainable populations is hypocritical at BEST and continuing to exhibit colonial/racists tendencies at worst. Using financial extortion against nations who depend on the income because of some new-found morality is pretty laughable.

The zebra steak was excellent.

I'm not upset about you calling it a trophy hunt. It's the abrasive way that you do it. Go back and read a few of your own posts where you essentially say that anyone that trophy hunts would just as soon leave the meat to rot as to eat it. That is not the case by a long shot.
I know it is. My old crew partner who was born in Zimbabwe, lived in S. Africa, and has become one of my best friends over the years, told me zebra was excellent.

His Dad worked extensively in Africa, move to the States and took a position as a prof. of wildlife at Utah State for a while and recently took a position in London working on wildlife issues there. His Uncle is a biologist in Africa and has received some prestigious awards for his work with black rhino's.

So, yeah, I've had some pretty extensive conversations with him about what happens/is happening in Africa. Makes for great conversation while we're hunting elk together every fall.

He wants my wife and I to attend his wedding in December, in S. Africa. Hoping to make that happen and won't be doing any hunting if we go.

My hang up with elephants is how damn smart they are. It’s one of those things where the reasoning of killing it is OK because of the clear delineation between man and beast becomes fuzzy at best.

They're one of the few non-primates that can recognize their own reflection. They can paint, have outrageously good memories, can recognize faces, etc, and they have a really long life span. It feels very different to me than killing a turkey or a buck; animals that would only make it a decade at best and aren’t capable of any sort of higher reasoning.

Idk, doesn’t sit right with me, so I wouldn’t do it. But, obviously there needs to be something done for management.

astro-wat.gif

Africa used to not appeal to me, then I went and hunted there and very much enjoyed every aspect of it. I've hunted there twice now and from what I've seen there is nothing that goes to waste, they keep and use everything on every animal. I would like to bring some of the meat home, but between logistics and mainly legal requirement, it all stays there. My first trip was hunting with an outfit that does hunting as well as photo safaris. I was told that the hunting side of the operation employs far more people and that those jobs are very sought after. I'm not an expert, but I'd say it is both trophy hunting and conservation. I did a lot of photography while I was there and enjoyed the landscape, people and every aspect of it, except the travel. In Zimbabwe I saw elephants everyday, wasn't hunting them, but they're amazing to watch. I hope to go back again, I go because I enjoy it and at the same time I think it does do a lot of good for those areas.

Perhaps it would be good use of your time @BuzzH (and anyone else that thinks hunting without bringing meat home is a bad way to hunt) to go read the recap of my trip last summer to Argentina where my wife and I hunted waterfowl, blackbuck and axis deer.

We came home with nothing physical. No birds for mounting, not even a feather. We did attempt to bring the axis hide along with the horns/antlers home but I'm pretty sure they are lost forever. So I suppose that attempt goes against us a little bit but there was WAY MORE that we got out of that trip than anything physical we brought back with us. At the start of the thread I made a post that summed it up well I thought and as I pointed out in that post, until you go and truly experience a hunt outside your local comfort zone, you just won't know it yourself until you do it. Based on a few comments already in this thread, that certainly appears to be the case.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be good use of your time @BuzzH (and anyone else that thinks hunting without bringing meat home is a bad way to hunt) to go read the recap of my trip last summer to Argentina where my wife and I hunted waterfowl, blackbuck and axis deer.

we all hunt for our own reasons. if i can't bring home the meat i just ain't gonna do it.

to each their own.

Thus, it's a trophy hunt. Not about helping the locals, eating a zebra steak while you're on your shooting vacation, etc
It is a trophy hunt that everyone I know that has gone which is many would definitely not of gone had the money they paid not helped where needed and the meat would be left to rot. Are there some out there that wouldn't care either way sure, but I haven't met them or have that kind of people in my circle. Your broad brush says everyone that goes to Africa is an asshole and doesn't care about anything but the trophy. It's insulting. I have friends who went and brought nothing home (no ivories, no feet, etc..) but like to hunt and to them its money well spent and work well spent to help others out. Like donating to a charity except you get an adventure out of it. But your so $*)Q!#@$ cynical your brain can't comprehend people doing good things. Everybody in the world is a bunch of ****s looking out for just themselves. It's damn sad you have been exposed to so much assholery in your life that you are the way you are.

Praying for you Buzz to see the positives before the negatives. 🙏

Back