Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Good for you Botswana

The last time we were in Botswana we saw the incredible damage the elephants were doing. It literally looked like a brush hog mower had levels the forest. I have no interest in shooting an elephant but agree they need some control.

Last edited:
When all US hunters bring back is ivory and feet for trash cans, pretty tough to call it anything else.

When was the last time you had an elephant burger?
Animals are killed all the time for reasons other then food. Elephants aren't special because they're big and cute. A hunt done correctly can be both a trophy hunt for the hunter and a management hunt for the people of the area. Also from my understanding very little of that meat goes to waste. But I'm not naive I understand the main concern of Botswana is that with stricter import restrictions they make less money off the hunts. Less money for wildlife management, less money for the locals, but people who will never have to deal with a elephant in their garden or knocking over a wall of there hut can feel good about themselves.

Animals are killed all the time for reasons other then food. Elephants aren't special because they're big and cute. A hunt done correctly can be both a trophy hunt for the hunter and a management hunt for the people of the area. Also from my understanding very little of that meat goes to waste. But I'm not naive I understand the main concern of Botswana is that with stricter import restrictions they make less money off the hunts. Less money for wildlife management, less money for the locals, but people who will never have to deal with a elephant in their garden or knocking over a wall of there hut can feel good about themselves.
If it's so righteous, why the need to justify it so hard? Blah Blah, helps the locals, pays for management. Same tired story.

It's a trophy hunt and those doing the hunts could care less whether it helps the locals or not. They could care less if the meat gets used, eaten by a hyena, or rots in the sun.

If it's so righteous, why the need to justify it so hard? Blah Blah, helps the locals, pays for management. Same tired story.

It's a trophy hunt and those doing the hunts could care less whether it helps the locals or not. They could care less if the meat gets used, eaten by a hyena, or rots in the sun.
Interesting opinion. Have a good one buzz.

Why not seperate the supposed motivations/intent - and the results?

From all data ive seen - african hunting is good for African wildlife and Africans.

Its not for me, at least now. But villifying people with different ideas of what hunting is isnt always great.

Why not seperate the supposed motivations/intent - and the results?

From all data ive seen - african hunting is good for African wildlife and Africans.

Its not for me, at least now. But villifying people with different ideas of what hunting is isnt always great.
Honesty and transparency is a good thing. Not "villifying" anything, calling it what it is, trophy hunting.

When all US hunters bring back is ivory and feet for trash cans, pretty tough to call it anything else.

When was the last time you had an elephant burger?
So the meat is just discarded? Left to rot? I haven’t hunted Africa but that isn’t my understanding of it.

You know Buzz, you might just sometime take a step back and try not to be a jerk.

I went on an African hunt. I cared about the meat. It was delicious. I would have paid $$ to get to take some home. It is the U.S. government that won't allow people to bring the meat home with them.

I try hard to give you some credit for the work you do for Wyoming but it really gets tiresome to see you rambling on about every topic like you are the only one that has it figured out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back