Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Good day at an auction yesterday.

grizzly63

Went to an estate sale. The guy had a lot of items for sale. over 50 guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, 25ish scopes and some reloading items. I got eight lbs of W760 for $175. Five scopes to include a Bausch and Lomb 4000 2.5 x 10, Bushnell elite 4200 3 x 9,Burris Fullfield II 3x9, a Burris 1X (for my Muzzy), and a Bushnell banner 1.5 x 4 with a BDC top turret. All 5 scopes for less than $400 and none of them look to ever have been mounted. The guy had a lot of rifles with Tasco's mounted on them. That seemed kind of strange but these all have very clear glass. I felt I did good and mounted one of them up on a new ar purchase and it seems to work just fine.

How many estate sales do you go to in any given year? There can be some really good finds for sure. Wish I had time to go to a select few each year.

You did pretty darn well I’d say. Sounds like you could have done a lot more damage to you wallet with all the things for sale at this one.

I know better but I attend firearms auctions and estate sales that have sporting related items on them, archery, guns, reloading or related items. Its a catch 22. If there are too many nice things, it will bring a big crowd and you don't stand much of a chance of getting any deals there. After a few, you can usually spot the resellers. They usually have a good idea of what things are worth. I was at a GFP auction where they were selling off four years worth of antlers, confiscated guns, treestands, mtn lion skulls, mounts and the like. Heck of a crowd. The guns went fairly high in my opinion. The first two sets of skull plates with antlers went for $650 each to the same individual. Who knows if they were confiscated from him, he was going to make them into beautiful mounts or he wants to tell stories. At this weekends auction, there was one really nice whitetail set. It only brought a couple of hundred. Different group of people. This estate auction had a lot of items. Guns and related items were in a gymnasium. A lot of tool and the usual outside. It started raining before the sale started which delayed the outside items. For the people who were smart enough to bring rain gear, they got some great deals. When they run two rings, it is always a challenge to be at the right place at the right time. I usually get to 4 or 5 auctions like this a year. It is fun to find the unusual or obsolete items from the past. Bullets in the large lots of multiple hundreds can be had for decent prices. I picked up 600 90 gr speers for 243 for $90 at the last auction. However, some sales can be a wasted day short of the conversations you can have with people you meet. Someday, if I'm lucky, maybe my kids can have one for me. There were not very many held last year.

I LOVE auctions when I can go. While living in the UK I furnished a good portion of the home we were in with auction finds......good thing for me the definition of "antique" to Brits is very different than ours :) Also got the wife a very nice cocktail ring at a car boot sale for 50 GBP that I think the seller THOUGHT was fake (rubies and gold).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back