Good Article on Future of Wildfires

Good stuff. I hope we can eventually get past the notion that fire is some evil tool of destruction. My vote is for more fire.

I've thought about this a bit lately. Prescribed fire is one thing, but you hear a fair amount about how we should let wildfires burn, instead of always defaulting to aggressive initial attack. I think that's complicated due to funding, wildfire protection boundaries, and social expectations. But I also think that's a tough thing to do because of how many structures exist, and are perpetually being built, in the WUI.

Here's a map of Montana and her structures, and largely understated at that - every red dot being a structure. Imagine the potential for a strong westerly wind. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of places where allowing a fire to burn doesn't endanger structures. All the more reason we need to engage in more prescribed and controlled landscape fires when conditions are favorable.

Attachments

• Structures.jpg
    Structures.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 105
I also think that the health impacts from smoke will play into it at some point. The idea of letting it burn is all fine and dandy until you get a high pressure ridge, an inversion, and they air outside is hazardous for weeks on end (happened three years ago here- 16 days of hazardous smoke up to 1,000+ ppm of 2.5 um particulates)

I've thought about this a bit lately. Prescribed fire is one thing, but you hear a fair amount about how we should let wildfires burn, instead of always defaulting to aggressive initial attack. I think that's complicated due to funding, wildfire protection boundaries, and social expectations. But I also think that's a tough thing to do because of how many structures exist, and are perpetually being built, in the WUI.

Here's a map of Montana and her structures, and largely understated at that - every red dot being a structure. Imagine the potential for a strong westerly wind. There aren't a whole heck of a lot of places where allowing a fire to burn doesn't endanger structures. All the more reason we need to engage in more prescribed and controlled landscape fires when conditions are favorable.

Good points Nameless. There are a lot of people in this world, in this country, and in the coming years more and more will be coming to Montana looking for a place to live. That will make dealing with wildfires more difficult and costly.

Here is one solution to the WUI problem. Conservation easements to keep working forest, working forests, and not sub divisions.

Forest Legacy program candidate North of Whiefish.

http://www.cbbulletin.com/439100.aspx

Forest Legacy program is funded with off shore oil royalties.

Additional note Stimson has submitted an application to the FLP through TFPL to help fund conservation easements on FS surrounded properties near Libby Montana. Substantial acreage involved in this proposal.

Back