Caribou Gear

Going to call you 400 lb bear shooters LIERS !!!!

That is a very dandy bear, looks like the sow that I almost shot a couple weeks ago, cept mine had more of a sooty color on the nose and around the eyes.
Is that a wolf or huge coyote, if a wolf congrats and that is a good wolf, because it is dead... :D :D :D

if you got sows that size where you hunt ,I would love to see a good boar there !!!LOL
Thats only the second bear I have ever taken myself.Thats me in the pic with it.I swore 400lbs when it was 20 feet over my head.
why cant I get the pic to post here?
thats a coyote in the othjer picture.Hunter shot it in front of my dogs after a 4 hr run.great hunt.we saw it several times with the dogs a couple minutes behind.Guy waited on the back track for 45 minutes.Coyote tried sneaking back on the dogs running in the exacat same track as he had just used. Randy was waiting 20 yds away.Knew it was good when he came on the radio and said"man,that #4 buckshot hits hard "!!!

Elkchser, Those Eastern coyotes are a lot bigger than Western coyotes.

What do you suppose most Westerners think their coyotes weigh? :D

George, thanks for your posts on this topic. Actual weights are something I get kinda serious about, since I've done a lot of weighing animals myself and heard incredible amounts of crazy speculation about what some animals weighed. :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-09-2002 10:06: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I am the same way about the weights Ithaca. I hate it when a prospective client calls me and asks about the average size bear here in NH or Maine.I tell them 185 to 200 is about right.then he tells me that so and so says his average is 300.well, we both hunt the same bears so I dont know how that can be !!!
Here, a 200lber is a nice bear,250 or better is a trophy.I have been down south where they dont even want to kill a bear under 400 but that is a whole different world than here for sure !!
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong to post that picture here??

Sorry I can't help with picture posting advice, George, I'm not much good with computers.

I think bears are probably the toughest to estimate weights of. Elk and Moose would only be tough because most people have never seen one weighed. I think deer are fairly easy, but that's probably because I've seen many of them weighed. I guess it's mostly a matter of experience. I know guys who worked in meat packing plants who claimed they got incredibly accurate on hogs and beef after seeing hundreds weighed.

I can easily understand how frustrating it could be for an outfitter to have to deal with all the BS about bear weights!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-09-2002 11:21: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ithica!!
I just looked thru this one and found that you had posted toward me and [spank me]but I missed it..I didn't think I missed any thing on this siteLOL!!!
They have big yotes back there if that is an average....I would guess if you could find a fifty to seventy five lb dog out here with the guts in it, you have a good size one..I have seen some pretty big tracks and not the owners. But I would have to see the actual animal to see if it just had big feet, unless it was a hybrid, Iv'e seen a number of them over in Wa....They can actually get pretty big and they are alway's less afraid of man and way more agressive..... :D

elkchasr, That is a big coyote around here,not average by any imagination.It weighed over 50lbs.Our average weight on winter yotes is probably around 30-35lbs.we take a few each year over 40lbs.Over 50 is a real big yote !!! Biggest I have seen around here(seen,not estimated like the bears !!!) was 72 lbs on a scale.When they get that size ,I really worry about the "W" word.

I wonder if anyone has an idea of the average weight of a Western coyote? I bet it's about 25 lbs. here in Idaho, maybe 30 at the most. I think a 35 lb. coyote in the West would be a huge one!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-10-2002 18:45: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I would have to concede with my #'s. I guess the ones I put out would make for some very big s'dogs...Unless they are hybrids, we had some that my step dad shot that were as tall as german shepards, in the Woodinville area some 25 years ago. The warden that showed up said that's what they were. At that time I was moving a lot of 80lb bags of feed for the farm animals, and the two that were shot wern't much lighter than the feed bags. It was me that had to drag the flee infested buggers out back and bury them.....But you guy's are right I think on the weight of your avarage ones. :D :D :D

The largest bear that i have ever seen here in northern california was a huge cinamon with two fat cinamon cubs.
she looked absolutely monstrous and had us all talking about it for weeks.That was a huge bear especialy for cal!!!!!!!! :eek:
:eek:

Man I don't know what all the fuss is about. Just leave those little one for seed. 0 to 399# is tiny!! :D :rolleyes: HA HA!
All BS aside I have to agree with an earlier post that there are some dandies out there but few and far between. You do have to know where to find them because it is ginetic. Prince of Whales Island does have some dandies and here is one that came from there!
curt::s%20bear.jpg

bear.jpg

Back when it was legal to bait in Wa, we
had a couple of good years. The last one in
particular, when we took 3 nice blackies
in 3 days, the largest one was 6'2", and weighed 195 on the hook without the hide.
Of course we bulked him up on milk shake
mix and carmel corn.! :D I do say that made some
good eating bruins.

We took this one out whole & put him on a cattle scale. Don't call me a lier!
nono.gif

bear.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-21-2002 18:52: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Ok, he made B&C. He squared out at 7'10" and weighed 394 lbs on a cattle scale....guts and all. Hey, that's 400 lbs...give or take 6 lbs. lol It was one of the worst years we've had. Hot and rry and no food for the bears. He was skinny as hell. My best to date.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-22-2002 22:13: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back