Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Going to call you 400 lb bear shooters LIERS !!!!

Nice ;)

Thanks for the answer to my question

In Washington and N. Idaho we weighed at least 8 out of 10 bears, probably more. No guts, nothing else removed. Probably in the neighboorhood of 200 bears weighed in 15 years, + I'll add in another couple hundred from a good friend that weighed all their bears. I cant remember a bear breaking the 400 mark, but we did have several from 338-367 over the years, no guts. The average.....um....quick calculation in my head.....160??! SOmewhere in that neighboorhood anyhow.

ANyhow, yeah Moosie, 400 pounders are WAY few and far between. I have seen so many bears in a tree, then hanging on a scale, thought I knew my shit big time. First time I took a bear spot and stalk I GROSSLY misjudged him (I mean her). She was moving, 200+ yards, fur was exceptionally long, I thought I had killed my biggest bear yet. NOt, she probably dressed out at 110 pounds. Just about shed a tear for her. OH well.

ANyhow, yeah, its fun to listen to guys talk about this bear that went 500, that one that went 375, that 450, blah blah blah.

Biggest bear I ever saw was in Olympic National Park on the shores of Hoh Lake. Me and two friends were looking at 11 bears at one time. This bears belly was no more than 4 inches off the ground, only bears I've seen like it were garbage dump bears in N. IDaho, but they weren't this big. I bet he would dress near 400.

Horn seeker:
Long time no hear! Hey you are right about that as it is very hard to judge bear in the feild like that but if a person keys on a few points it does get a little esier, but I'm sure you know. I used to have that problem but finally solved it by keying in on wheather it was a boar or a sow first, then judging the head by the size of its ears. That helped me out a lot I knew if it looked like dumbo that it was relatively small and if it looked like a small head with no ears chances were it was big. There is a lot more to it than that but that was what helped me the most. That and taking the time to really study all aspects of him or her. The biggest bear I ever killed or seen was one I harvested on the border of the Olympic National Park in Klaylock 40 miles south of Forks. Its skull officially scored 20-15/16 2 years after. I'll see if I can find a pic of him for ya.

Cool Raybow, nice bear for sure. Yeah, I know all the tricks of the trade for estimating them. That morning it had just got light and something caught my eye. I looked across the draw and here's this bear at a shuffle (faster than a walk, slower than a full out run) heading uphill away from me at about 225-250. The bear appeared huge and I didn't have time to do anything but hit the ground and start shooting.

It was wierd, the way she moved she just carried herslef like a big boar. I know I never even glanced at the head or ears, I was just taken by this "monstrous" flowing body shuffling along. I was humbled to say the least. When I see bulls or bucks with my buddies or my dad I always assume the worst, then work up to their real size. Thats what I'd have done hear if I had a bit more time or if it would have stopped, but I thought I was missing my chance at a bruiser!

How'd you do on elk last year?? Did you get back to Fletcher or hunt somewhere else? I haven't been on this forum until a buddy mentioned it the other day, I'll be back around more often now.

Later,

Ernie

Welcome aboard MH. Great pics!

Bearphotos.jpg

Do a right click on the picture and then go to properties and then get the Address (URL) of the picture and place it between

EH,
Got it, thanks.
Now about those pics, top & middle bear weighed 507lbs(cert scales) after field dressing(gutted) I had one heck of a time loading him in the truck by myself(no one believes me!)The bottom bear is considered a dink in my neck of the woods, he weighed an est 300lbs. MtnHtr

Ithica .. Ithica .. Ithica....

MntHtr, Forgive Ithica, He's new to hunting, He doesn't realise that EVERYONE packs 500# bear WHOLE to the truck

(B.T.W., NICE BEAR, !!!!!)

I37,
I backed my truck's rear wheels into a depression about 10yds from the downed bear. This lowered the tailgate about 2ft from the ground. There was a fresh stack of recently cut lodgepoles laying nearby. I layed about 4 of em againest the tailgate, which made kinda a ramp. I then rolled the bear over and over up into the truck. Once I had him in part ways, I knew I had him in.
This is my best bear to date, his skull went 21". I see a big one now and then, hopefully I'll bag another one. MtnHtr

Mtn, Thanks for the explanation! I'm always curious about stuff like that. I keep a "come a long" type winch in my truck for situations like getting stuck and dealing with heavy things. I've lifted elk, deer and bear into a tree with it and then backed up to them and lowered them in.

What are those bears eating to get so big! There must be a good food supply there.

You must live in a pretty neat "neck of the woods" if a 300# bear is a dink. I know lots of people that kill big bears in cali, and 300 pounders aren't dinks.

By the way, that top bear is a beaut.

HS,
The average bear in Calif is probably 175-225lbs. The majority of bears here are taken by houndsmen due to the heavy brush and terrain in most areas. Alot of bears are taken by deer hunters by chance while hunting deer. No offense to houndsmen(I know a few good ones)but generally they take bears under 350lbs. Once an old boar gains some size it takes alot of "hound power" to tree or bay up him up long enough to kill him. So a 400lb+ bear is king, he can continue putting on size if he has ideal habitat. California is a big state and we have lots of bear habitat along with good feed. If a hunter knows how to go about it, he can kill a monster bear in Calif. Like anywhere else, its usually a local who is in the know. I won't give out any honey holes, I worked too hard to find 'em. here's another300lb class bear I thought you might enjoy:
cinbear1.jpg

cinbear2.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-16-2002 19:53: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]</font>

The biggest reason hound hunters generally kill smaller bears is because they hunt roaded areas and due to the success rate of a group of hound hunters the bears just dont live to get very old in those areas. In all the years I've hound hunted (about 20) I can only think of 2 huge bears that got away, but I can think of a TON of small bears. The little guys can run all day long, wear the dogs out big time. Big ones will stop and fight or tree, also, when its a big hawg I'll bust my ass to get in and get him bayed up where as I dont get too excited to bust it when I know the bear is 150 pounds.

Like I said though, 300 aint a dink, anywhere. And I think you'd agree as you posted a couple pics of you with them. SUre, 350, 400, 500, those are true monsters, but 300's aren't dinks.

Good Luck MtHunter!

HS,
You are an exceptional houndsman. That big bear in the top two photos was killed off a road(firebreak) well within range of houndsmen. After I loaded him up I stopped by a houndsman's camp to show em what a big bear really was. :D A few of em mentioned they had ran him before but he would never tree or allow them to move in close enough for a shot. If you check the B&C awards books you'll find the majority of the top Calif B&C bears were killed by other means rather than with hounds. In fact the world record bow kill on a black bear was done using a varmint call just as my B&C bear was. But in all fairness to the local houndmen around here there are a couple good ones who have killed monsters but never entered their trophies. :confused: MtnHtr

I just got my new copy of Rocky Mountain Fish and Game or whatever its called somethin like that. It has a story on big bears and lists some from AZ over 600 lbs. It showed a picture of a 600 pounder that was shot on the reservation over bait in AZ. How can AZ have so much bigger bears than the northern states I would expect the opposite?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-25-2002 13:33: Message edited by: FEW ]</font>

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back