Going price for a started bear hound (no papers)

Thumper

Aksai, Kazakhstan via Covington Louisiana
Just was wondering what prices you feller's are seeing for a yound started bear hound?
never mind the breed of if it has papers, what is the price ranges for your areas?

I know hounds that are started for fox, yotes and deer down south go cheap, coon hounds and cat hounds bring big money and are harder to find.
Up north a bobcat, coon or fox hound's would bring big $$$
just wanted to see what are the gong rate for a started bear hound.

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

I have bought and sold several bear dogs in the last few years.Never to make a profit though.Maybe I just had too many,as I live in town,and the season is over.I have paid or tried out dogs from a few hundred to $3500.
I would say a young ,3 yrs or so,well started dog.One that will start at least a good track,run and tree with the other dogs and stay in on a long chase would go for anywhere from 500 to 1500.If I pay more than 1500 I want a finished dog that is broke from all trash.
I sold 2 dogs last fall at the end of season.Both had just turned 6.Both spayed females.One was a decent rig dog,good all around bear dog.The other was a hard going dog that had treed several bears alone for me in the last couple years.She had a couple faults that drove me nuts here in New England.She didnt like big water and she loved those porkys and I couldnt break her from them.Sold them both to different guys in Calif. where her faults werent an issue although I certainly told the buyers all about them.
Sold each of them for about $1000. A little less than they were worth for sure but it was the end of the season,I had too many here at the house,and they were the oldest dogs I had.Both guys are very happy with the dogs.They have called,emailed me,to tell me how the hounds were doing.In fact on another hound board I read a story about a guy buying
a good bear dog through the internet.He was saying how well he was treated and the dog was exactly as described.You guessed it,he was talking about me and the dog I sold him.It made me feel really good to have that kind of reputation !!!
Tobey, do you think your Uncle "Honest Bob" gets many calls and letters like that??LOLLOL

kind of a broad question, what means started to some means nothing to others, to me its all based on age, ability, and # of game its been on, you can be talkin about puppy price to few grand, all depends on whos sellin and whos buying, what a justified price to pay to some is not for others, just remeber to buy all dogs on trial

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

One of the guys I bear hunt with in WV gave $6000 for a plott last year.I have not hunted with it yet,but everyone says its all that and a bag of cheetos.

------------------
Hunt hard and prosper.

This is a disclaimer {I AM IN NO WAY RELATED TO HONEST BOB}Now for todays cat hunt.No gun's needed,Dogs caught another one on the ground and killed it.Paul got there just in time to get some pictures of Cate and Sue baying him under a blowdown then Cate went in and one chomp dead.Got onto another one but diden't get jumped before dark.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

How many does that give Paul?He must have more than anyone else in Maine.Did you run Whiskey at all?Supposed to rain here tomorrow and then get cold.Might give a good base if we get snow on top of it.Did you run off a bait or cut a track?

Engman99, 6000 is too rich for my blood.Even if it is a top top bear hound I wouldnt spend that kind of money.I know that a 6000 dollar dog in my hands would be a magnet for a speeding car or a bad bear.I guess if I were rich I would though.I think I have spent and would spend more than alot of people would on a dog .My way of thinking would have me buying 2 at 3000 first.Of course that would probably just be 2 speeding casr.LOL
I am flying out to try out a dog this spring,I think i am anyways.I have bought 2 dogs from this guy in the last couple years and they have been excellent bear dogs.He wants 3500 for this one.Says it is by far the best he's ever seen.Knowing this guys judging of bear dogs,this is one dog I have to see go.I am guessing he is what he says it is and more than likely will be in my yard this summer.Havent quite figured out how I will pay for him yet but I've got a few months to work out the minor details.Probably will sell a young dog or something or maybe buy a lottery tcket.
PS Please dont mention this to my wife as she thinks people send me dogs just to run for them.LOL

George if you sell me this old slow whisky dog for 1/3 the price of that new one I will not tell your wife HE HE.I am going to run whisky tommorow if this feeling of the flue lets me out of beed.Paul has got 17 cats so far.That meanes he has one less then Bob P. HA HA The cats we have run latley have been from cutting tracks the baits have dryed up for some reason.The last two cats are very skinny almost starved looking.This deep snow is having its toll on them.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Good Luck tomorrow dale.i didnt know you had been sick.That stinks for sure.The guy that I got whiskey from has that dog.He doesnt want to sell him but said for that amount of money,to me,he would probably sell him to me if I went out there to washington and saw him go.the dog wont be 4 till this summer.he says he is the best bear/cat/lion dog he has ever seen.That is almost twice what i paid for whiskey so I am really anxious to see him go.
Bot ,that is alot of money though.at least to me.No doubt in my mind if he is as advertised I will buy him anyway.Thats what cash advances on credit cards are for ,right???
I figure if I can book 6 or 7 hunters I can make it worthwhile.I Hope.
Man, I couldnt believe the way you looked in that last picture !!!If you could have held that cat up about 2 feet higher,the picture would probably have been better.LOL

Back