Sharing a Bear Track

Ike

Sharing my Bear Race?

One day last fall, I loaded Wolf Pack and headed up the hill hoping to get the hounds out on a bear for exercise. It was one of those go alone days and I’d planned to spend it with my hounds.

We drove up the hill and I passed two young men sitting along side the road with a dog box in their truck, so I drove on past them. Just up the road I got a bump on bear from the hounds but didn’t stop because I knew I had those two guys behind me. It wasn’t far to the top of that ridge, so I continued on and stopped at a little turn road when I approached it.

One of the two young men recognized me and stopped. Did you get a bump back there?” he asked.

Yes I did,” I responded, then asked him where he was headed.

“Up the hill,” he replied. “I’m going to take the dogs for a walk down that big drainage.”

Well, I knew this young man had a kill tag…and I started to ask them if they wanted to go look for that bear my dogs had rigged with me…but you know how houndsmen are, don’t you? If you don’t know, then take my word for it. Most are protective of their game, knowledge and whatever else they might have acquired throughout the years.

They went their way and I went back down and dug around until I got that strike again, then shipped my hounds. They ran up the drainage, out across the far ridge then turned that bear nearly back to the road and fell on the wood—not a 100 yards from the road I’d passed those two young men on. What a treat!

I did find a nice plump, cinnamon bear in the tree upon finishing my short walk. That young man also killed his own bear the next day over his hounds…..and that’s the way it should have been rather than having to share any of his glory with me. Sometimes things work out for the best.

Ike

I’m pumped for fall bear how bout you guys?

Attachments

• youngboar copy.jpg
    youngboar copy.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 178
Hey Ike, I love killing bears but I really truely believe that I have found someone (meaning you) that is crazier about bears then I am. Which is a good thing. Good luck.

Good luck to you as well

GFHunter said:
Hey Ike, I love killing bears but I really truely believe that I have found someone (meaning you) that is crazier about bears then I am. Which is a good thing. Good luck.

Yes, bear hunting is about tops on ole Ike's thing to do list GFHunter. I'm glad to see you enjoy it as well. Let us know how the hunt goes....

ike hump

Man IKE I love reading your posts, I spent my growing up days w/my black and tan but now can only spend a few days a year behind my buddies dogs. BTW what a beautiful bear. Thanks
Houston

reading my posts

WHT_MTNMAN said:
Man IKE I love reading your posts, I spent my growing up days w/my black and tan but now can only spend a few days a year behind my buddies dogs. BTW what a beautiful bear. Thanks
Houston

I'm glad you have enjoyed my efforts in posting the hound and bear stories...it's been fun. Looking back and having the memories are just about as neat the the doing of the dead mtnman. And tagging along with a buddy and his hounds can be fun as well, that's the way I started, taggin galong with my buddies. Then a friend gave me a pup...never let that happen ha!

Ike |oo

Ike said:
I'm glad you have enjoyed my efforts in posting the hound and bear stories...it's been fun. Looking back and having the memories are just about as neat the the doing of the dead mtnman. And tagging along with a buddy and his hounds can be fun as well, that's the way I started, taggin galong with my buddies. Then a friend gave me a pup...never let that happen ha!

Ike |oo

DEED not dead, sorry

Is that the bear you treed in the storyor is that supposed to be a link to some pictures?????? WOW, whata pumpkin on that one.

same bear

Ten Bears said:
Is that the bear you treed in the storyor is that supposed to be a link to some pictures?????? WOW, whata pumpkin on that one.

Yeah Ten Bears, I've just gone through some of my bear pictures and written a short clip about that particular bear. He looked to be a good boar and I had to turn him loose because I didn't have a tag or hunter. Had I invited those two young men with the tag taht morning, he'd surely died that day--ha! But he sure was a pretty bear.

Ike hump

You're right there, that is one beautiful bear. Do you ever use bait to strike off of? MOOSIE has gotten me hooked on baiting these days.

Good treeing. :D

striking off rig

Ten Bears said:
You're right there, that is one beautiful bear. Do you ever use bait to strike off of? MOOSIE has gotten me hooked on baiting these days.

Good treeing. :D

In Utah, a person either hunts over bait with an archery only permit or spot-n- stalk or hounds. It's illegal to set bait to run hounds here. A erson can run off a dead cow, deer or elk if a person didn't put it there....but that's about it. I spent lots of time making rig dogs becaue of the no baiting laws here Ten Bears. And after a guy's made the rig dogs he doesn't need bait. However, if others have bears baited i holes it's sometimes hard to find a bear in the fall because they aren't coming near any roads.....hope that helps?

gotta go
Ike

It is more fun and in my opinion easier to run off a rig .
As you know here in Idaho you can hunt bear about however you want , but My choice has always been rigging as it ( ussually ) gets rid of a lot of cold trailing , not always depends on conditions .

running off rig

Idaho_Smiley said:
It is more fun and in my opinion easier to run off a rig .
As you know here in Idaho you can hunt bear about however you want , but My choice has always been rigging as it ( ussually ) gets rid of a lot of cold trailing , not always depends on conditions .

A few years back I was having pretty good luck running off the rig and catching bears....that was lots of fun. Although the track wasn't always a hot one, they ususally went and got it jumped and in the tree. However, my old dogs have ben rigged so much (and year round) they'll now blow up on a bobcat scratch or tom lion scratch. I say this because it's rare to rig a lion in this country. Then you put them on the ground and they go to the scratch, start digging and can sometimes move the track and other times can not. That's fun in the winter or spring when you're cat hunting cause it provides me a chance to see a few cats I otherwise wouldn't. But I hate that in the spring when you want a blowout race on a bear. I guess a guy should have at dial on these hounds so he can adjust the rig from cold cat and scratch to hot bear? roflmao

the iekster |oo

Pretty uncommon around here also

But It is fun when they do rig those cats , cause I have missed some they have not ;).
What I like about my dogs is that you can tell what kinda track it is by thier rignot animal but condition of track.;).

Knowing what is what

Idaho_Smiley said:
But It is fun when they do rig those cats , cause I have missed some they have not ;).
What I like about my dogs is that you can tell what kinda track it is by thier rignot animal but condition of track.;).

A couple years back I was telling another hounddogger I'd put my LionHeart female on a frozen tom lion track and two of my younger dog. They trailed up over a little ridge and I could hear the two males leave out up the country, while that LionHeart dog stayed to task on the tom.

So we drove around the corner and there in the road was a smokin hot female lin track with two nearly grown kittens. Those two males were blowing air and treed by then up near the head of the canyon.

I drove further down the road and the frozen tom track had crossed again and still had my single dog track following it, so I dumped my other female Rowen to go help her. Those two trailed all day and never got to the tom so I pulled them and went to the tree those two males had made. They had been treeing all day by the time I got to them.

"If my dogs didn't switch for the fresher tracks I'd shoot them," he roared. "I want my dogs getting treed, and quick!"

To which I responded,"if a guy puts his hounds on a trophy boar or tom lion and they switch on a bitch and kittens is more likely the correct time to shoot them, cause it's that trophy tom a guide is after not a kitten."

"A hound can't tell the difference between one lion and the other," he claimed.

This guy has run dogs for over thirty years? I told him mine older dogs can, and not only which lion or bear, but the sex of that animal as well. Nededless to say, he and I don't speak about honds anymore because it hurts his pride to believe I'm right.

There was a good article in the Historical portion of Full Cry a couple months back where an oldtimer went alot further than I just did to back up my ideas. You should go read it.

Keep'em treed!
the ikester hump

My personel views are that there are times when that is true, but I do not believe that it is always the case. ( can go into detail but wont at this time) But I would'nt care if those dogs have the same kinda meet in the tree that I put them out on .
I dont take full cry so no article for me.
And what I meant is that I could not tell what kind of animal whether or not bear lion bobcat or coon , by thier rig just whether or not the condition (freshness ) of the track .

Riggin and knowing

Idaho_Smiley said:
My personel views are that there are times when that is true, but I do not believe that it is always the case. ( can go into detail but wont at this time) But I would'nt care if those dogs have the same kinda meet in the tree that I put them out on .
I dont take full cry so no article for me.
And what I meant is that I could not tell what kind of animal whether or not bear lion bobcat or coon , by thier rig just whether or not the condition (freshness ) of the track .

I realize you were talking about knowing how fresh a track is because of the quality of the rig. I just threw those comments I made in their because they are interesting to me. To think a dog might take a sow rather than a mean boar and pull her pack is interesting to say the least; likewise, to watch another pack leader stay on a tough lion track time and again when others bust a female with kittens and go jump on the wood is interesting as well.

I think it's sad to hear some of these western hounddoggers run down Full Cry cause there isn't enough big game articles in it, and often wonder why they don't contribute photos and copy if that's what they want to see. I don't ever remember Full Cry turning down an article from me!

the ikester |oo

It is very interesting

Some dogs just flat out like the chase better than the tree and as I am sure you have seen will leave a tree or just keep going if there is still another track to trail .
As to full cry , I think that a lot of guys just feel ( like me) that it is hard to put or story down on paper the right way and and for whatever reason just dont feel good about it.

bear trails

Good enough reason on the Full Cry issue.

And yes, I've found that most hounds either favor the trail or the tree...some are great at both. If a finished hound ever locates on the first tree I doubt that it would leave it for a trail. But I think it gets back to what I was talking about earlier, one hounds locks on and is trailing the one bear or lion while the other dog (s) lock onto a different animal--thus the split. When the two game animals split or separate, so do the hounds?????? Just a thought.

the ikester hump

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back