Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Goat Hunt with my Dad

TBinKodiak

My Dad came up for the week and we decided to try to get him a goat. I figured it would be a good training run for my sheep hunt next week. We flew down last Saturday and he shot this billy on Sunday, 8.75" with 5.5" bases and 3.5 years old.
2012Goathunt3.jpg

Where we found him.
2012GoatHunt1.jpg

Monday was fogged in until mid afternoon, which gave us time to clean up the meat and then I packed it down to the lake. Spotted one on the way back to camp so I collected the Old Man and made a stalk on it. Got to within 250 yards but it was a year and a half old billy so I passed.
Tuesday I hiked up to a draw after messing up a stalk and had 6 goats walk below me at 15-20 yards. The last two were billies, but I couldn't do anything because it was a verticle drop of 500-600 feet and I wasn't sure I could get them out of there. Ended up killing a 9.25" nanny in the afternoon while stalking the two billies in a different spot. It was a quick decision and I had to shoot or let it go. I thought it was the smaller billy, but it wasn't and I wasn't too happy about the mistake. Of course she ended up going over the edge on me and we had to pack her up over the mt. To add insult she lost both of her horns and got pretty beat up. I was able to find one of the horns and the meat tastes great so it wasn't a total loss. Just mad that I shot a nanny and that she got all beat up. I had a group of 5 nannies and a kid at 200 yards earlier in the day in a perfect spot. Had I known I was going to shoot a nanny I would have laid one out there. Oh well...
No pictures of her since she was pretty rough and we had to butcher her on a steep shale slide. Here's one of my dad packing some of her out though.
2012Goathunt.jpg

It was a fun hunt with my Dad and I'm very happy we got him a nice billy. I made a mistake and learned a lesson, plus there's always next year. The real heartbreaker was watching a 9.25-9.5" billy walk by the lake 400 yards from our pickup, two hours before the plane got there. :rolleyes:
On the plane Tuesday morning for my sheep hunt, I'm feeling a big ram in my future...

Nice job. That scenery sure isn't hard to look at. Good luck on the sheep hunt.

Every time I'm over there the goats a not even close to the grass, you must have the good spots figured out. Congrats on the goats. Looking forward to a sheep story, good luck!

Awesome!!!!! Good luck on your sheep hunt. If you get back early you should give indian larry or I a call. There's always beer in my fridge....cuz I don't have the time to drink it hahaha

Congrats to you and your dad. Great to see a pic of him hunting goats. If you are hunting goats, you are giving it hell, no matter what age you are. Dad looks happy.

Awesome country! Can't beat a father-son hunt, no matter your age. Congrats!

Thats awesome, I'd love to get my dad on a mountain hunt but his desire to climb has waned. It's moose for us or bust. Congrats!

Congrats to the both of you! Great job helping your dad. My dad was with me when I shot my mountain goat and I can't wait until he draws so I can help him get his!

In my eyes their all trophies! To much emphasis is put on the tape measure instead of the experience and quality time with family and friends! I leave on Wednesday for my first goat hunt in BC. I hope I have a quality hunt like you both did! Congrats to the both of you and best of luck on your sheep hunt!

Awesome!!!!! Good luck on your sheep hunt. If you get back early you should give indian larry or I a call. There's always beer in my fridge....cuz I don't have the time to drink it hahaha

Sitting in ANC right now waiting for a flight into the mts. Hopefully we'll be back early and take you up on the offer.

My Dad came up for the week and we decided to try to get him a goat. I figured it would be a good training run for my sheep hunt next week. We flew down last Saturday and he shot this billy on Sunday, 8.75" with 5.5" bases and 3.5 years old.
2012Goathunt3.jpg

Where we found him.
2012GoatHunt1.jpg

Monday was fogged in until mid afternoon, which gave us time to clean up the meat and then I packed it down to the lake. Spotted one on the way back to camp so I collected the Old Man and made a stalk on it. Got to within 250 yards but it was a year and a half old billy so I passed.
Tuesday I hiked up to a draw after messing up a stalk and had 6 goats walk below me at 15-20 yards. The last two were billies, but I couldn't do anything because it was a verticle drop of 500-600 feet and I wasn't sure I could get them out of there. Ended up killing a 9.25" nanny in the afternoon while stalking the two billies in a different spot. It was a quick decision and I had to shoot or let it go. I thought it was the smaller billy, but it wasn't and I wasn't too happy about the mistake. Of course she ended up going over the edge on me and we had to pack her up over the mt. To add insult she lost both of her horns and got pretty beat up. I was able to find one of the horns and the meat tastes great so it wasn't a total loss. Just mad that I shot a nanny and that she got all beat up. I had a group of 5 nannies and a kid at 200 yards earlier in the day in a perfect spot. Had I known I was going to shoot a nanny I would have laid one out there. Oh well...
No pictures of her since she was pretty rough and we had to butcher her on a steep shale slide. Here's one of my dad packing some of her out though.
2012Goathunt.jpg

It was a fun hunt with my Dad and I'm very happy we got him a nice billy. I made a mistake and learned a lesson, plus there's always next year. The real heartbreaker was watching a 9.25-9.5" billy walk by the lake 400 yards from our pickup, two hours before the plane got there. :rolleyes:
On the plane Tuesday morning for my sheep hunt, I'm feeling a big ram in my future...

Great job which must have been really special with your Dad.
I got a drawer for the north road system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back