Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Glock Carry

HighDesertSage

Looking for recommendations on carrying a G23 on my MR Metcalf. What are you guys using? I was looking at the Blackhawk Serpa, but I didn't know how that carried on the pack. Thanks!

I would stay away from the serpa. It seems that every time someone has a negligent discharge (into their leg) its with a serpa, due to the location of the retention release button.

I haven't used the mystery ranch, but on my Outdoorsman pack I just used a regular kydex holster for my G23. Something like a raven concealment or bravo concealment might work.

Raven Concealment would be a good choice, though I'm a little paranoid about losing gear so I might also look at Safariland for a holster with some sort of active retention. Last thing I want is to have the grip snag on something in the brush and not realize it or set down my pack and jostle the gun loose from the holster never to be seen again.

I use the Blackhawk Serpa with the Molle attachment for my Glock. This is on the MR Crew Cab with the Molle straps on the waist belt. Works great.

Raven Concealment would be a good choice, though I'm a little paranoid about losing gear so I might also look at Safariland for a holster with some sort of active retention. Last thing I want is to have the grip snag on something in the brush and not realize it or set down my pack and jostle the gun loose from the holster never to be seen again.

I am a big fan of Safariland as well. Their SLS model can be mounted on a MOLLE adapter and I think would be a good choice.

Thanks for the replies everyone. JWP58, I wish I would have read your post before I went to Cabelas. I bought the Serpa. I see what you mean with the release button. I may have to return this one.

The other issue with the sherpa is they get dust behind the button and can't release easily which is a very real thing on a hunting pack.

I would stay away from the serpa. It seems that every time someone has a negligent discharge (into their leg) its with a serpa, due to the location of the retention release button.

I haven't used the mystery ranch, but on my Outdoorsman pack I just used a regular kydex holster for my G23. Something like a raven concealment or bravo concealment might work.

That's likely because they're too stupid to draw correctly, i.e. their finger should be indexed on the slide until the gun is up and coming onto target.

They're also likely using the tip of their finger instead of the pad of it like they are designed to. If you use the pad, the trigger finger will naturally index on the slide as the pistol comes out.

That's likely because they're too stupid to draw correctly, i.e. their finger should be indexed on the slide until the gun is up and coming onto target.

They're also likely using the tip of their finger instead of the pad of it like they are designed to. If you use the pad, the trigger finger will naturally index on the slide as the pistol comes out.

In theory this is correct, but how many people are ever really taught how to draw a pistol, much less shoot one efficiently? No to mention, unless it is drilled in, most of that goes right out the window once the adrenaline gets flowing.

I have also had issues with the holster jamming up with dist/grit. It is crazy how bad it will lock your pistol in that holster.

Last edited:
I carry the glock 23 in a thigh holster. I tried it mounted to the pack but found that when i was exhausted and flopping down to rest that it was hard on the gun if i didnt carfully set the pack down. Its so heavy that it seems to find the rocks if you are exhausted and just flop down. Doing this a few hundred times on long trips really hammered my pistol. Got dirt in it. I just didnt like that route.

The other issue was i remove my pack numerous times and glass from a ridge while moving around to check each basin. Im only 50-100 yards from my pack/pistol but it leaves me feeling uneasy. Same deal if i drop my pack during the final stalk. I carry on my hip in griz country.

And yes it is a PITA but the only way i stay armed at all times.

Last edited:
Back