Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Glassing location recommendations

elk_newbie

First season elk hunting in mountains and thus I'm relying on this forum for its wealth of information. So far you have all been very helpful, which I appreciate. Having said that I have another general question. I'm attaching an image that I have labeled...everything 'inside' the red lines is a historic burn area from 3 years ago. I've also included the elevation changes for reference. It is oriented N on top.

I know North facing slopes are important in early season, which is when I'll be hunting. I know there is alot that goes into this, but in very general terms...where would you recommend a glassing position be placed? S looking N, vice-versa, or something else. If I assume there is dark timber at the red lines, where in general terms would I best position myself to glass those boundary areas while taking into the account the whole North slope thing. Perhaps I'm overthinking this, so if I am just say so.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Glass locations.jpg
    Glass locations.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 137
Well thought out question, definitely something I have struggled with in the field. I am curious to see what input others have. My guess is people will say you should be glassing the North facing slopes, but have a plan to access multiple glassing locations. Obviously things may look different when you get your boots on the ground.

Looking at your image, I see a drainage running roughly north-south along the western boundary, and one that forks off from it in the SW corner that runs to the NE and then heads east roughly middle of the image. The dark patches of timber are the north facing slopes, although these are really facing roughly N-NW. The avalanche chutes in the middle of the image are roughly south facing. Hard to tell for sure without knowing scale or seeing outside the boundary of the image, but I'd guess you'll need to be up on the slope that runs up from to the west from the N-S drainage on the western edge of the image up out of screenshot, maybe about where the fire perimeter would run off to the west. Or maybe on the rocky looking ridge above the avalanche chutes to glass the patch in the southern part of the image, again hard to tell without scale. You'd have to find an elevated clearing otherwise those trees might be hard to see out of, hard to tell without seeing the contour lines.

Finding glassing locations from my experience is extremely hard to do via Escouting. All I've been able to work with is locating the high elevations and directions from that point that should be roughly open enough to provide a view. It all looks so different once you get there and I always find myself getting to that spot and then going "damn...I should be over there glassing"

Looking at your image, I see a drainage running roughly north-south along the western boundary, and one that forks off from it in the SW corner that runs to the NE and then heads east roughly middle of the image. The dark patches of timber are the north facing slopes, although these are really facing roughly N-NW. The avalanche chutes in the middle of the image are roughly south facing. Hard to tell for sure without knowing scale or seeing outside the boundary of the image, but I'd guess you'll need to be up on the slope that runs up from to the west from the N-S drainage on the western edge of the image up out of screenshot, maybe about where the fire perimeter would run off to the west. Or maybe on the rocky looking ridge above the avalanche chutes to glass the patch in the southern part of the image, again hard to tell without scale. You'd have to find an elevated clearing otherwise those trees might be hard to see out of, hard to tell without seeing the contour lines.

Thank you for that advise and detailed response. Really appreciate you weighing in. When I hit the ground in next few weeks I'll make sure to check that area out for potential.

BOTG might be a lot different... but get where you can see the most open ground along EDGES.

If you can look at that E facing open slopes at first light from somewhere you could make a move you might get some action at first light. I like the looks of the E/W Draw especially on the South facing aspect. But the elk will be where you find them. If you have a lot of hunters in the area, spending noontime where you can watch those openings, you will often see hunters bump elk out of the timber. See where they go and do your evening hunt there. Also Listen. Going through the timber and deadfall they will make a hell of a racket...

Now find 12 more spots like that...Seriously. Elk hunting is about covering WAAY more ground to find elk than you imagined.

Google earth FTW! This is a spot I just found while looking around that looks promising to glass from. The image is facing south west. The glassing tit i found looks rocky with few trees to obstruct the view. Lots of north and east slopes to look over. Looks like a perfect AM spot to me.

1595009811190.png

BOTG might be a lot different... but get where you can see the most open ground along EDGES.

If you can look at that E facing open slopes at first light from somewhere you could make a move you might get some action at first light. I like the looks of the E/W Draw especially on the South facing aspect. But the elk will be where you find them. If you have a lot of hunters in the area, spending noontime where you can watch those openings, you will often see hunters bump elk out of the timber. See where they go and do your evening hunt there. Also Listen. Going through the timber and deadfall they will make a hell of a racket...

Now find 12 more spots like that...Seriously. Elk hunting is about covering WAAY more ground to find elk than you imagined.

Thanks for response...excellent! Appreciate it and will certainly do what you suggested

Google earth plays a big part on e-scouting the glassing spots for me, use the ground view level and you can visualize what it will be like when you are there, definitely have the sun at your back, I hiked up 2k feet onetime to glass into the sun, worthless, most frustrating hike back down the mountain I ever did. I thought once the sun went down I could still glass, nope, didnt work at all.

My advice is simple. Get up high and glass all you can. Move to different vantage points to get a look at different country. Glass in the morning and evening, starting as soon as you can see to when you cant anymore, many times I have found what I was looking for in the last minute of light. Elk move, they wont always be on a north or south facing slope. Glassing west in the evening or east in the morning can be fruitless depending on specific geography.

How much time are you planning on glassing versus covering ground? I’m sure it would depend on the terrain and availability of glassing locations maybe.

When you find that spot, focus on the transition areas between timber and open ground. They'll be feeding in and out of the trees am and pm, usually. Can be easier to spot the bulls when the sun starts to hit the slopes. Their blonde hair lights up in the morning sun. I'd like to be at my camping spot at sun up.

My advice is simple. Get up high and glass all you can. Move to different vantage points to get a look at different country. Glass in the morning and evening, starting as soon as you can see to when you cant anymore, many times I have found what I was looking for in the last minute of light. Elk move, they wont always be on a north or south facing slope. Glassing west in the evening or east in the morning can be fruitless depending on specific geography.
this is great advice.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back