PEAX Equipment

Give me your thoughts...bullet wt and effectiveness.

Horn Seeker

So, I have always shot the 165 or 168 Barnes outta my 06' for elk and deer. Not real concerned about deer, but am wondering what your opinions/experience is concerning usnig heavier bullets for elk.

I've been dinking around with a ballistics program and have very little real data from my rifle and my loads, so am just going with Hodgdons load data and the results from plugging it and BCs into a calculator.

At close range, under 200 yards, the 168/165 is showing about the same energy as the 200 AB, or slightly more due to increased velocity, but the 200 has a slightly higher momentum. At 300 the energy is dead even, but momentum is higher again for the 200. At 500, which I've never shot an animal at, but would like to if the right opportunity came up, the 200 is better, except that I get 10 inches more drop....

Is it really a 6 and a half dozen deal...a wash as to effectiveness on an elk, or does that 32 grains extra bullet weight and higher sectional density going to be very beneficial? I like the idea of keeping the trajectory as flat as possible and the numbers just aren't adding up to use the 200 grain bullet!? Keep in mind, all of my elk have been at 100 or less yards, but as mentioned...if my skilz permit, Id like to "be able" to get out further.

Is the 06' just NOT a good round for the 200 grain bullet?

Just rambling and goofing around here. Thanks for any discussion/opinions.

Ernie

One thing to remember when shooting at long range is that drop is a simple physics question and easily corrected for via reticle or turrets. Windage is not and that's my guess as to where the higher BC of the 200gr bullet will shine over the lighter bullet as it probably (I haven't ran the numbers) drifts less.

A noted gunwriter from Montana has postulated that a Barnes bullet will penetrate as deeply as a Nosler Partition that weighs 1.2X as much and the Accubond was developed to perform like the Partition. So, I'd say penetration would be 6s between the two. However, the AB will open wider and should therefore make a larger wound channel. That said, I guess that either would work as well as the other if you put them in the same place.

You gotta know your drop and be able to compensate for it at 500 yards regardless of your load, so it doesn't really matter.

My biggest concern would be the Barnes not opening up once the velocity dropped off out at 500 yards, not the "momentum" of either bullet or the drop.

To simplify the Barnes issue... what about the Accubond 165 vs the AB 200? Am I really gaining anything by going with the 200?

Probably not. It depends on who you talk to though. BreaksRunner uses 155s in his .308s, but other guys like 208grs for LR shooting in a .308.

Personally, I'd take the 165s. IMO, 200gr bullets are 300 mag territory.

The 200gr will penetrate more. I'd have to run the numbers, but I think it would drift less in the wind as well. But, whether or not either is enough to be considered a "gain" would be up to you.

How's that for being non-commital? ;)

I don't think you'll gain much past 180gr in the '06. I would also consider whether if you have the rate of twist to stabilize a 200gr bullet for distance shots. It shouldn't be an issue but you never know with the mulititude of manufacturers and variations of barrels.

I've found by switching between bullet weights is that I forget my POI and holdover with the different bullets. So keeping the bullet constant and knowing where to hold with multiple conditions is safer than having enough energy for the shot.

Back when I used to do a lot of shooting I remember seeing somewhere that the best overall performing bullet for the 06 was 180 gr. The lighter loads although initially flatter and faster would also die off faster as the law of physics the faster something speeds up the faster it will slow down. The 200 gr where just a little too much weight for the 06 to get going so the optimum all around bullet weight was 180 gr. Not sure how much has changed in the last few years as this was told to me about 10 years ago. Having said that more important is what weight bullet your rifle likes better. It may take time to find your rifles all around sweet load but that makes it all the more fun.

Another thing to keep in mind is what bullet your rifle will stabilize and/or shoot well.

You might want to shoot 200's...your rifle may not want to.

I agree with match your rifle to the bullet comments. I can't argue with all the tests and data that has been produced concerning bullet weights for the" 06". All I can add is I have killed eleven bulls and more deer than I can remember over the years with my Ruger "06" all shooting 165gr bullets.Mostly the Nosler ballistic tips.I lost one bull years ago,which I saw later on in the season,bad hit, he was alright. A I remember the longest shot was pushing 500 yrds,most though in the 200-300 yrd range. I have never seen the need to go with a heavier bullet .I hate recoil with a passion. If your rifle likes eatin heavier bullets and you can stand shooting them go for it..you have nothing to lose.
M2h

Good point, I didn't even think of the twist deal... Just get to thinking about different things and wanted to see what you guys thought. Pretty much what I thought. I may experiement....or .... I may just chill with the 168's and 165's!

it seems that there is a toss-up on gains on a 30-06 when getting up over 180 gr,,,200gr will have more knockdown but will be dropping alot more,,,id stick to the 165 vicinity IMO.

my wife uses a 165 grain bullet made by remington,to hunt elk in oregon,she has her rifle set at 150 yards.
it will drop an elk out to 200 yards easy,now if you want to go over 150 yards,dont use the 200 grain,to much drop,i have tried them,did not work out well,at least in my B.A.R they did not work well,but different guns shoot differently,so maybe try the 180 grain,it is a good in between round.:D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back