Getting Truck off road ready

NativeIndian

After years of being lucky enough to have someone pull me out or dig myself out of some sticky situations I have decided it is time to get my truck more hunt ready. I have a few things in mind.

I already have good tires and am going to stick with stock suspension as nothing I do requires a taller vehicle.

My main thoughts are getting a winch setup on my vehicle. Debating one of two ways, just go with the good ol front bumper set up. Or put a hitch on the front and put a winch on a carrier to be able to swap from front to back. What are guys experiences when using a winch would this setup be advantageous or am i over thinking things.

I have also been seeing these maxxtrax boards on every suv running around town. Anyone with experience do they actually work or do you need a very specific set of circumstances.

Like I said i'm not doing any off roading all of my instances of being stuck have been on FS roads either due to snow or mud conditions in the spring and fall.

Thanks for the input.
If you go with a winch (or two) get a couple of snatch blocks. It will make it easier for your winch to pull you out.

gallagher71

One thing
IF you go to a winch that can go in front and back.
YOU NEED huge power cables to run that kind of power to the back of the truck.
I use #0 to run from my Backup battery upfront of my 2013 F150 to the hitch receiver in the back.
I also have a "Perko" switch to cut the current when not in use.
+1

TAMU1990

Considering the same for a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel. Just want a small lift to put slightly larger off-road tires. Don’t know why they sell them with road treads, amp research power steps, seat covers, ceramic tinting for uv protection (live in Las Vegas), winch probably isn tin the cards. Maybe the next 3/4 ton when I get retired and out of this desert. Guy at 4x4 shop told me I needed a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. He sees $$ but I am not 20 trying to impress anyone and it is a diesel but a 6 cylinder so think rolling 110+ pound tires is a dumb idea. Just want to be able to get off road to more remote fishing areas, hunting ( if I could draw a dang tag!!) areas etc. But so many to choose from. Don’t want to put “spacers” if it going to effect angles and wear ball joints faster...Any suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically challenged.

trasko

Considering the same for a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel. Just want a small lift to put slightly larger off-road tires. Don’t know why they sell them with road treads, amp research power steps, seat covers, ceramic tinting for uv protection (live in Las Vegas), winch probably isn tin the cards. Maybe the next 3/4 ton when I get retired and out of this desert. Guy at 4x4 shop told me I needed a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. He sees $$ but I am not 20 trying to impress anyone and it is a diesel but a 6 cylinder so think rolling 110+ pound tires is a dumb idea. Just want to be able to get off road to more remote fishing areas, hunting ( if I could draw a dang tag!!) areas etc. But so many to choose from. Don’t want to put “spacers” if it going to effect angles and wear ball joints faster...Any suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically challenged.
IMO put some AT tires on there and get out there. It’s fine as is unless you’re looking for trouble.

silasd

I think the portable winch and hitch receivers front and back is probably the most logical option. I opted for the cool looking bull bar winch bumper and winch on my truck though. I have not personally used maxtrax, but they seem to work good in the videos! If you have the money, maybe think about a rear diff locker. Other than that, good chains and a shovel is about all you need.
Did you have to upgrade the suspension on to acomodate the bull bar and winch weight?

D4570

For years, all we had was a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with Bald recaps, 4 speed, and straight 6.
Went every place we had to go, Before that my Grampa just had a Nomad station wagon.
It went places I will not go with the 4x4 truck I have now.

Carl 9.3x62

Did you have to upgrade the suspension on to acomodate the bull bar and winch weight?
Yes and no. I already had upgraded suspension and a lift on it, but I ended up replacing all that with a new lift kit and shocks when I put the bumper and winch on. If my truck was stock when I added that bumper/winch setup I believe I would have to upgrade the springs.

SITKA Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntVarmint