Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Getting Truck off road ready

I always keep a set of chains and truck claws in my truck. Have used the chains several times but have yet to break out the truck claws. I also always have a shovel, jack, and 6 foot 2x4 (for the truck claws).

Have thought about a winch but have never needed one over the years (knock on wooed) so haven't bit the bullet yet.

Do you know anyone that has had to use the truck claws? Do they work as advertised? My truck doesn't take chains on the front so these might be an option. Didn't know about them before so thanks for posting!

Do you know anyone that has had to use the truck claws? Do they work as advertised? My truck doesn't take chains on the front so these might be an option. Didn't know about them before so thanks for posting!
I believe @BuzzH had posted on another thread that he had either used them or seen them used. Maybe he can chime in.

I personally haven't seen them used but they are super sturdy and from the YouTube videos I've watched, it looks like they would work well.

Way better than chains and you can use the extender bars on the rear tires...will save a tow truck almost everytime. Mud, snow, sand....

They are aggressive and will throw sod, rocks, ice all over hell and gone.

I have used them once in snow. Worked fine. I have the extender bars but didn't need them.

I got set with ext bars, never plan to use them but crap happens. Seem good idea and well designed. Cant run chains on front of truck

I got set with ext bars, never plan to use them but crap happens. Seem good idea and well designed. Cant run chains on front of truck
That was my thoughts too. I had one time in Kansas that I got so stuck I had to walk to a farmers place and have him come pull me out with his tractor. Had I had the truck claws, I think I would have been fine.

Dad always said “Go as far as you can in 2wd, then lock it in and get the heck out”. Been pretty sound advice for the past 44 years. Maybe not as far as you can in 2wd though!
That doesn't sound like fun though, haha;)

I can not stress enough. GOOD FREAKIN TIRES, i say that although ive been running on some bald ass yokohamas the last couple of years in the super duty. Finally got some new tires after even the 4wd couldnt get me moving in snow haha.... Also bring a shovel and 2x6x8. THe wood so you can start a fire while your freezing to death and the shovel to dig yourself a grave.

Items I carry hunting out west.
Tire Chains for rear tires, cable chains for front.
Nylon 30' tow strap 20' chain.
Extra wood blocks 6"x"6 for jacking up truck
Chain saw
Cumalong
Last year added traction boards

Question for you experts please. How do use a come-along the correct way if you are stuck? I have tried jacking my f-150 up with a high-lift jack and every time I got the truck up about 6-12 inches it would start to tip over. What am I doing wrong? Any advise would be appreciated.

Items I carry hunting out west.
Tire Chains for rear tires, cable chains for front.
Nylon 30' tow strap 20' chain.
Extra wood blocks 6"x"6 for jacking up truck
Chain saw
Cumalong
Last year added traction boards
What size comealong for a duramax HD 3500? and what type of chainsaw do you use? I'm gonna pick each of these up.

Question for you experts please. How do use a come-along the correct way if you are stuck? I have tried jacking my f-150 up with a high-lift jack and every time I got the truck up about 6-12 inches it would start to tip over. What am I doing wrong? Any advise would be appreciated.
Maybe adjust your jack angle. Or try putting some boards under the jack for a solid base. Your truck may be at too much of an angle too. That is one reason those jacks are dangerous.

If you get it up 6-12" shove rocks or wood under the wheel(s), and if you need to go higher, reset the jack before it gets tippy. Generally, 6-12" at any given corner should be adequate.

Maybe adjust your jack angle. Or try putting some boards under the jack for a solid base. Your truck may be at too much of an angle too. That is one reason those jacks are dangerous.
It was on a slight angle, just enough to tip it over. I had a nice thick piece of plywood under the jack, but the angle was too much. Thanks

What size comealong for a duramax HD 3500? and what type of chainsaw do you use? I'm gonna pick each of these up.
I have a Stihl mine is a older model but a MS 250 with 18 inch bar is good. At least good enough to get wind blown tree off logging road, better that a ax.
I would get a 5 ton if I was you, I have a 4 ton for a Sierra 1500

Attachments

• AB15FAD6-6440-4C94-85F8-EB7024D37BA8.jpeg
    AB15FAD6-6440-4C94-85F8-EB7024D37BA8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • A9CC0960-C225-4455-85A5-4EF8CF9445C7.png
    A9CC0960-C225-4455-85A5-4EF8CF9445C7.png
    510.8 KB · Views: 19
Way better than chains and you can use the extender bars on the rear tires...will save a tow truck almost everytime. Mud, snow, sand....

They are aggressive and will throw sod, rocks, ice all over hell and gone.

I just ordered a set of these! Thanks for the report

Offroad here means even the state hwys are dirt. Avoid getting stuck.
Glad I just did oil change,lube and the Coopers on.
I use the hilift for pulling. That and chains straps,come a long.
I'm tempted to cut some spots on my bumpers in the corners and weld braces for the hi lift. I carry a 10 ton squat bottle jack,but even it won't fit under in some instances. The scissor jack works ok then.
I had done that on my old Toyota on the Smittybuilt bumpers it had,weld jack spots. Can't see new bumpers on 2 trucks.

Back