Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Getting it done on public land

If the wind’s blowing 20 out of the south and you want to hunt the red x would you park at the blue x where you’d have good wind, but the deer could potentially see your car or would you park at the yellow ex and walk in with bad wind?
View attachment 253269
Doug something to consider here is that a deer's eyes are good and useful but it's his nose that really keeps him alive. I would risk being seen over being smelled ten times out of ten.

Hold up, what setup are you talking about?
I’m thinking I’m gonna get a short piece of climbing rope 5ish ft, tie a loop in one end, wrap it around the tree, pull it through the loop, attach a rope man 1 to the end of the rope ive pulled through the loop, attach a carabiner to the rope man and then slide that to where I want it on the rope and attach it to the front of a rock climbing harness that’s only on your waist and legs. 🤷‍♂️

Seems like it would be way easier having the rope at waist height in front of you for going up and down with the climber and with the climbing harness you can take your jackets on and off while in the stand.
View attachment 253734

+ a lot of outdoor clothes are actually meant to be work with harnesses and therefore have two way zippers.

This is the harness I have, great for the gym, routes where you just need fall protection, and things like canyoneering. You don't want to be hanging in it all day. If you're going to be saddle hunting go with one of @Dsnow9's recomendations. If you're going to be using if while in a traditional stand this would work fine.

I'd probably bring 25ft rather than a short piece, and keep all the extra line in throw bag or something. That way if you do have a fall you can just descend your line.

Got up early and drove an hour to the state recreation area to realize I’d forgotten my backpack 😑

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion pulverizer might be prowling the power line cut tonight with this northeast wind and waning crescent, but I’ve gotta take a step back and regroup and recenter as a hunter.
I’ve now hit the point where I’ve burnt enough gas that there’s absolutely no financial justification in what I’m doing.
But at the same time I’ve got so much money invested in it at this point that it’s like I might as well keep going.
Illinois winter is setting in.
All is gray and it makes it harder to go outside or do anything.
Gonna finish the last of my deer meat in an attempt to satisfy the hunt gods and get back after it in a couple days.

DC1EF707-A13B-4D77-9D7B-F6B761B71000.jpeg

Is it sacrilegious to wait 3 years to eat a mature yearling and then turn it into Italian beef?
Probably.
But it ate pretty good.
I’ll let you know if I’m hitting backboard in the morning.
About 3 more weeks to get it done.

Pretty good Italian beef recipe:
B2B3B891-3993-412A-9925-2BD08F24536E.jpeg

hey @BrentD , a friend and I got a couple squirrels yesterday and when I was cleaning them I noticed a lot of really small reddish bugs crawling through there coats.
Are these just fleas?
Are they ok to eat?

Fleas look grey/black, and they jump. I don’t know what parasites are on your squirrel but I would have no problem eating the squirrels.

This was a young gray that skinned completely differently from the old warrior foxes I got over the weekend.
Idk if it was that, the cast iron or the 30 minute butter milk soak, but that one had me gnawing on the rat spine without getting grossed out.
Definitely going to keep experimenting with the iron.
3FD77BF2-9EA3-4DB2-950D-B81949B05225.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back