Getting excited - another hurdle jumped

np307

I'm trying to expand my hunting horizons westward. This year I wanted to do a group antelope hunt with some friends. In theory the group was 5 people but I knew that would be a shock if it ever happened. I was comfortable going by myself but really wanted for this to be a group hunt. Well, no 5 person group, but three of us did put in for tags. I put in for a buck tag and two others put in for doe tags. Unless something crazy happens, we will all draw what we applied for. I've already started scouting spots on OnX and trying to get some county road maps. Going to be a fun trip no matter how many antelope make it to the freezer.

I feel like 3 is a great number for antelope. A couple spotters and a driver if you're doing to spot from truck method. Then you're also not trying to cram 5 guys in a truck or burn fuel for 2 trucks.
Yeah, the original plan was 4 then one got added. We had access to a cargo van but the mileage on my Camry will be way better. Hopefully not as many empty tags this way too. Side goal for the trip is to get into some cottontails for the pot.

Hope you guys draw! I'm looking to go on my first antelope hunt this fall with two buddies. Good luck

I went out there myself last year in my Camry - got 32 mpg. You might want to test fit all your gear and three guys in the Camry before you go out. I could have done two guys but definitely not three guys and cooler space for three or more antelope. You could probably do it with a hitch rack though.

Another suggestion vehicle wise is to make sure you have some accessible ground off of a paved road. I wouldn’t dream of getting off pavement if there is a hint of moisture on the dirt roads. Good luck - it’s a great time.

I went out there myself last year in my Camry - got 32 mpg. You might want to test fit all your gear and three guys in the Camry before you go out. I could have done two guys but definitely not three guys and cooler space for three or more antelope. You could probably do it with a hitch rack though.

Another suggestion vehicle wise is to make sure you have some accessible ground off of a paved road. I wouldn’t dream of getting off pavement if there is a hint of moisture on the dirt roads. Good luck - it’s a great time.
I'll be pulling my 4x6 trailer for gear and cooler space. I'll definitely be mindful about the roads out there. I've been through mud and sand here in NC but I hear that Wyoming mud is another critter. I do keep chain and a come along with me at all times though.

I'll be pulling my 4x6 trailer for gear and cooler space. I'll definitely be mindful about the roads out there. I've been through mud and sand here in NC but I hear that Wyoming mud is another critter. I do keep chain and a come along with me at all times though.
I grew up in Northern California where the dirt roads are thick clay and it is easy to get stuck no matter what vehicle you have. I have always considered myself perfectly able to drive my truck off road and typically never worry about getting stuck. If I do I always carry strap, shovel, come along, etc to get me out. Well last year was my first time to Wyoming....... It rained the last 2 days of our 6 day trip. Now I am not talking a lot of rain here. Just enough that the roads were wet for the first few hours after the rain, but would again be dry by noon or so. I have never felt so helpless in my adult life as I did on those greasy Wyoming roads. My F350 just sat there with all four tires spinning in the “grease” while moving nowhere. When I did get it going you didn’t want to stop. I could turn the wheels but the truck wouldn’t get out of the two tracks at all! Getting out of the truck and walking is even worse! Each boot had about 10 lbs of clay in them and it would only attract more with each step.

Bottom line...... no way I would ever take a Camry out after or during a rain on any dirt roads in Wyoming. YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back