Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Georgia Deer Hunting (Non Resident)

riv3rbanks

I'm heading to GA for 6 weeks for some military training. Since I'm going to miss some key hunting dates back home in Texas (most of bow season), I'm gonna try and take advantage of my time spent in GA. I'll be close to Marietta. I saw some wildlife management areas on GA's DNR site and I know the Chattahoochee national forest isn't too far of a drive. I saw that in much of the state you can tag up to 10 does and 2 bucks!!! Is GA overflowing with deer?

I primarily want to bow hunt while I am there. I'm guessing most of the hunting ground is thick timber and not a lot of openness so I'm thinking I should bring a hanging stand and steps. I'd also like to try some hiking/still hunting in the Chattahoochee as well. I am excited to see what GA has to offer.

North Georgia has a lot of public land that is beautiful country. Lots of trails and water falls. Woods that I saw where mature with open understory. Not sure how well the hunting is but it is good hiking.

91229336-03A3-456D-88E0-BE618EA59784.jpeg

5E85F802-7E08-4AE9-9B45-C3B6DAF43FA8.jpeg

AEFF84F8-DE9D-48C2-B477-ED296C6262F4.jpeg

19455C34-6315-42DA-AA95-3DE80033025C.jpeg

Last edited:
N Georgia public land hunting is 100% the opposite to the rest of Georgia. It's hunting mountain ridges and draws looking for oak trees producing acorns and if you are really lucky a persimmon tree that is dropping. It's old school hunting similar to mountain bear and hog hunting. Find that food source and hunt the trail leading to it.
The rest of Georgia is lazy hunting, sitting in tree stands overlooking food plots and Ag fields.

Is GA overflowing with deer ? Yes, I was lucky enough to hunt S Fulton/N Fayette for 10+ years. I expected to see deer every hunt and it wasn't unusual to see 20+ in a sitting.

Last edited:
Yes, GA is overflowing with deer but don't think they will be busting out of every thicket on public land. You will likely want a tree stand (I would suggest a climber to be more mobile) but you can do without. You likely won't find any long-range views. I doubt I have killed a deer in the woods further than 70 yards in GA. It's been quite some time since I have hunted public land in GA but if you are in Marietta, check to see if Paulding Forest is still a WMA. The lands that make up that WMA are actively cutting timber and you will find a variety vegetation and edges and some open areas.

If you head north to the mountains, try to find some mast producing trees like suggested above. Another successful method is to find a travel corridor leading to and from agricultural fields adjoining national forest lands.

Ditto a climber. Set up along oak river and creek bottoms near the old growth pines. Several military bases that also have hogs that you can check out as well. Ha is full of deer but they find private land pretty quickly once rifle season starts. Either that or they will hole up in a nasty mess of green briars and pine jungles and wait for you to make a mistake.

Go to central Ga before North ga. The bucks are bigger and there is a higher population density. Avoid South Georgia. Prices on hunting down there are sky high because of the Floridians.

Forget the deer hunting and head to the Chattahoochee and chase the big mountain hogs that the rednecks from Rabun transported up here several years back so they could chase them with their dogs.....

They are ruining the mountains and they are everywhere.

Spoken by a guy who lives in North Georgia.

Forget the deer hunting and head to the Chattahoochee and chase the big mountain hogs that the rednecks from Rabun transported up here several years back so they could chase them with their dogs.....

They are ruining the mountains and they are everywhere.

Spoken by a guy who lives in North Georgia.

If you're willing to point in the right direction, I might know some guys willing to travel to GA to shoot some pigs. What licensing is required?

Has anyone had any luck with Bear in N. Georgia? I am from Missouri and I am looking into going on a bear hunt next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back