PEAX Equipment

Gear/Equipment List

Nice,
For some reason I thought NR's had to have a resident family member or pay for a guide to hunt big game in AK. Had no idea a NR could just get a tag and solo hunt. I must be thinking of Canada.

Good luck on your hunt.

Dustin f is going deep after MT sheep. The unlimited area.

I'm taking the spotter to determine a legal ram.

DSLR is necessary, portfolio building is a secondary reason for the trip.

Ah... Okay, I'll give you the spotter if you are looking for sheep. You could save LOTS of miles on your feet at elevation with a spotter looking for sheep, especially on that unlimted hunt.

Still think you are crazy with the DSLR. ;)

Dustin,

Why so much fuel? Two of us can get by on 20oz for 8 days using a whisper lite.

Sans the camera,and fuel... looks pretty similar to my list for a pack trip of that length. I can only eat about 2-2500 cal per day as well. Don't mind dropping a few pounds either, and don't really run out of 'gas' usually my body hurts more than my belly.

What kind of Game bags?

Good luck on your sheep hunt. I take it you have an UL permit?

Dustin,

Why so much fuel? Two of us can get by on 20oz for 8 days using a whisper lite.

Sans the camera,and fuel... looks pretty similar to my list for a pack trip of that length. I can only eat about 2-2500 cal per day as well. Don't mind dropping a few pounds either, and don't really run out of 'gas' usually my body hurts more than my belly.

What kind of Game bags?

Good luck on your sheep hunt. I take it you have an UL permit?

To be honest, I just weighed the fuel I had. I'm probably only going to
carry in a quart. I never figured out how much I actually use. I was going for worse case when figuring my weight. I still have to repackage my food as well, which should shave a few ounces.

They are Caribou Gear Carnivore 2 game bags. You can google for details, but it's a 5 bag kit and a small tarp to pile meat on while field butchering.

Yeah, it's an unlimited tag. Starting the 27 hour drive Sunday morning.

You could probably save some ounces on the game bags. You could skip at least one or maybe two of the bags. I'm going to carry my food in one of my game bags on the way in, and only take in 3 bags total. One bag for each hindquarter, one bag for both boned out front shoulders and then distribute the loose meat between those bags to even out the weight. (probably a backstrap in with each hind quarter and then the neck meat, tenderloins and other loose meat in with the front shoulders). That's the 48x21 elk sized bags. I think they weigh 5 or 6 ounces for each bag.

I could actually stuff more meat in each of them, but not sure I want to carry more than that at a time. That will work good for a medium sized bull, if I shoot a really big one I will be regretting that probably. I can always keep an extra bag in the truck though and just bring it back with me and rearrange the meat for the pack out though.

You're an animal!
Good Luck! Can't wait to see pictures and read the story...

Good luck and stay safe. I will be looking for your report when you get done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back